• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sports cat and other guidance needed!

Alright guys! First post wooo.
Yeah basically i've been trawling various forums for weeks now and i can't really find a decent answer, so any advice and tips will be really appreciated.

I've got a facelift ep3 which came with a BMC CDA induction kit on? Now i can't find anything about these except for where to buy them so i don't really know if its a bag of ****. Although it does sound pretty nice post5k rpm.

I installed a spoon n1 muffler at the weekend and i love it! It's discreet and sounds the bollox imo although i have to get up for work at 4am some weeks and the cold start idilling is ****ing loud! So i've ordered one of those bungs so i can stick it in on those weeks which will hopefully keep the neighbors at bay....

Now i want to get into changing the rest of the exhaust system without decating it because from what i've read on here they just go stupid loud. So i think i'm going to go for a silenced supersprint B pipe to keep the noise down as much as possible along with either a japspeed 4-1 manifold and the japspeed sports cat or the full piper 4-1 which includes a sports cat. Now i was hoping a few of you guys could possibly give me guidance if this is an okay set up and if the b pipe or manifold is going to make it stupid loud. I don't mind it being a bit louder than with just the oem pipes on because like i said i'll just stick a bung in on the weeks i'm up early.

Sorry if i'm posting previously covered questions but i just can't find them. Cheers for any advice in advance (y)

Just to further muddy the waters... you might find it's alright noise wise with a straight through pipe and an inline sports CAT, there's not very many who have gone down that route but there are a few on here. EP3Pete IIRC has done this at one point and might be able to offer some advice.

Would look into going down that route if it wasn't for MOT emissions tests. Thanks for the reply though

I'm probably going down the route of Japspeed 4-2-1 manifold, Supersprint silenced mid pipe and OEM back box and hoping it's not going to be stupid loud as I track my Ep3. Would love to keep a in-silenced mid pipe but I believe it will be too loud.

I think your setup will be loud but bearable still.

As Hazz has already said noise isnt the real problem, i'm running a Japspeed 4-2-1 manifold and 3" TDi North exhaust system with no cat and db wise its still track friendly.

The problem you do have is sports cats are very hit and miss when it comes to being able to pass an MOT, they have to be extremely hot and even then there are no guarantees. I have heard that the Piper option is the better one if you do decide to go down that route.

Avoid the Japspeed 4-1 "shorty" header, actually makes less power than the OEM part.

If I was you I would go for a full 4-2-1 manifold removing the cat and linked to a cat back system, remember if you are changing your exhaust manifold you will need to have the car remapped with a k100/kpro

Thanks for the post Pete that's cleared a lot of things up i didn't realise the sports cats where hit and miss with MOT's so i'll just go for a decat system with a re-map and call it a day.

Ep3prem.
We have a group buy going on for a custom race header with a sports cat. You can see from the dyno graph the power it makes.

Im going to drag this up again as Im a little confused.

I know that when you decat an EP3 it needs mapping.

Would I have to map my car if I threw on a Japspeen 4-2-1 mani and sports cat?

Im already running Tegiwa intake, spoon Catback.

It'll be hit or miss as to whether you'd get an engine management light, but yes it will need mapping.

You're dramatically altering how the car breathes over normal intake and cat back mods and the AFRs will be out more than the stock ECU can allow for.

It'll run without, but long term you risk damage.

Back