• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Spring popping noise when turning wheel

Hi,

I am getting a spring popping sound when I turn my steering wheel at low speeds. Might be happening at higher speeds but difficult to tell over the engine noise.

Today I changed out the front shocks, upper strut mounts and tie rod ends on both sides and it's still popping,

Anyone got any other ideas...?

EP3, lowering springs all round.

Thanks in advance!

Gordon.

Im by no means an expert but that might be the common issue with ep3's steering rack? It only occurs sometimes whilst turning the wheel at low speeds. Don't quote me on it mate but it sounds like that.

Where are you based Gordon? There's a few very respected mechanics dotted around the country. I'd take it to one of them personally so the fault can be diagnosed quickly.

I had the same issue on my EP turn right at junctions slowly. The fault was a pain in the backside to find. Like you I had to change everything from ARB bushes to top mounts to try and find the issue.

Hi,

I'm based in Glasgow. The popping noise seems to have stopped now. I'm guessing that they just needed a bit of time to bed after being changed so fingers crossed!

I bought the ARB bushes and links as the car is knocking a bit over bumps so will be changing them out over the next week or so.

Hopefully that solves most of the noises...for a while!

Cheers.

Back