• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Squeak / Squeel when steering

Hi,

I have an intermittent squeak / squeal coming from something steering related. Doing some Googling points to a common issue with the steering rack which sometimes was swapped under warranty or other people have done some DIY jobs with grease.

Can anybody shed any light on this common fault and if there's anything I can do/get done for £100 or under? The best bit of info I think I have found is this:

"i've heard that you can put a small hole in the side boots and spray white lithium grease in there and it should subside the creaks... it's the guide that slides back and forth on the shaft inside that wears out and causes the creak from lack of lubrication... try that before blowing several hundred dollars on a new rack... "

Has anybody done this?

Cheers.

Do you have the prefacelift or facelift? Steering noises clunks/knocks can be due to a number of things, drop links mounts steering rack sliders etc.

I have this on mine but only every so often for a short time.
i asked my mate who's a mechanic, he reckons maybe it's just dry behind the steering wheel somewhere (can't remember exactly sorry), so try to drop some dash clean or anything like that down to sort it.
ive yet to try this but it's nothing serious just annoying lol.

I have exactly the same thing now on a facelift model when I turn left it squeaks

x2 me as well... its like a squeek and clunky sound, i had it up on the ramp and the only thing noted was play in the track rod ends. Not sure if this will cure it but I am hoping to give this a shot soon.

I think mine is something to do with the calipers my rear passenger side has been making the same sound for the last few months, mine gets louder when im cornering sharply left when i tap the brakes the sound dissapears so I'm not sure if its the calipers sticking maybe?

Back