• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Staffs Deltic Now in an FK8

It has been 10 months since I last had some mods to improve the power on the car and as such if truth be told I was finding the car a little lacking. When I did my track day I found that unless I was in the 7000rpm+ territory the car wasn't doing much. It was seriously lacking mid range punch. Those of you in the know have told me over and over to get a manifold however I didn't fancy the aggro that comes with MOT time.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago while browsing a well known auction site and I see someone local to myself has a Tegiwa manifold up for sale which had been on his car for just over one month. I spent the next few days contemplating whether I should bite the bullet and after a few beers one evening thought why not. Therefore the following day I went to pick up said manifold..............

The lad who was selling the manifold had decided he wanted something with more power and a turbo (should have spoken to Tdi North
icon_smile.gif
) however sitting on his drive was a white Focus RS looking very nice indeed.

The only thing missing form the manifold was the brass bung (no shock there) and so I acquired a steel bung from Tegiwa (thanks here go to Paul (Typesgt4me) who collected it for me). The intention had been for a mate to fit it but in the end I asked Stevie at Grinspeed to do it while he was doing the diff.

Pic of the manifold fitted to the car.

Pic of all the old manifold and associated stuff removed from the car.

Now having spoken to Paul at Tdi North he advised that I could not use the car in anger (I was ok driving gently but no foot down moments) without updating the map as the change to a race manifold was such a big one. Therefore I booked the car in for an update with Paul.

So the following way it was off to Tdi North for a remap.

Car on arrival lined up waiting to go in.

The car was taken in a put on the rolling road for Mr. West to weave his magic.

The results are detailed in the graph below. Couple of things to mention about the results of the remap:

1. The air temperature was colder when the previous map was done.
2. When I had the previous map done the fog lights were still in place. I had the Tegiwa fog light scoops in a month or so later. Paul had said he could tweek the map at the time but I declined and said I would wait until I had felt I would benefit significantly from such a tweek.

How does the car drive? Well I think I said last year with the remap the difference was like night and day. This time I think I can safely say I am gobsmacked by the results!
icon_biggrin.gif

The car pulls like a train compared to before. The peak figures are nothing compared to how it drives with over 20lb/ft of torque improvement in some of the mid range. I find now I can break traction on a dry road in 3rd (I have never done that before). I may need to look at different tyres next time they are in need of replacement. I think it is safe to say that if you want a major improvement to how the CTR goes then a race manifold and remap is the way to go without any question. I cannot stop grinning everytime I put my foot down.

Anyway thanks for reading through my ramblings, hope you enjoyed it. I have some more updates to add, which I will do so over the next week or so.
icon_smile.gif
Attached Files
pdf.gif
Staffs Deltic 12th Sept RR.pdf (32.9 KB, 0 views)

Re: Staffs Deltic FN2

Nice update!

Cracking the difference a good manifold makes isn't it!? :smt023

Should have listened to what I was told by yourself and a few others in the first place John. It is without doubt a tremendous improvement.:)

Further update.................

While having the car mapped at Tdi North I decided that I wanted their short shifter. Therefore before the car went on the rollers Ben set about taking out the old one and installing the new one (along with a new gaitor).

The old shifter...........

The new one installed (I had wondered off for a minute and Ben had managed to install their modded one before I had chance to picture it side by side with the old one).

The new shifter whilst improved on OEM isn't as short a throw than I was initially hoping for. That is not to say I am not happy just my expectation was greater than the reality.

Next on the shopping list was an improvement to the suspension. I have been running Eibach springs for the last 12 months and as such have been very happy with them. My intention was to upgrade to Meister R coilovers next year however I was pointed to a Japanese parts dealer who had some 2nd hand unused BC Racing BR coilovers in. The coilovers were in excellent condition and as such they had been fitted to a car with the intention of it being run on track but then taken off when the owner's circumstances changed. I made the them an offer which was duly accepted.
icon_smile.gif

The goodies...

I had decided I wanted Stevie at Grinspeed to fit them and set up the car with his fast road set up.

Rear suspension off...

Coilovers fitted to the rear.........

Front Coilovers fitted.....

Stevie then set about setting up the the fast road set up. I shall do a review of the coilovers at a later date however first impressions are excellent. The ride quality with them set 8 clicks on from their softest setting is no worse than before. The only issue I have found is that sometimes when you travel over a manhole cover or small pothole, the bump somehow transmits through the car quite harshly. Otherwise I am very impressed.
icon_smile.gif

Additionally I had earlier in the year purchased some coolant hoses and had these fitted...

Another issue I wanted to sort was the fact that now I had the Tegiwa mani fitted the car it would not pass an MOT. Add to the fact that I was advised by my insurer that the car would not be covered in the event of an accident as it did not have a cat I picked up one of Tegiwa's cat conversion kits.

Picking up the cat from Jonny at Tegiwa was interesting; I had a run out in Jonny's car, then he came out for a spin in mine. All good until I got pulled by the old bill.
facepalm.gif
Is there a crime against vtec? Apparently not and after a lecture about something and nothing we were on our way!

The cat was welded to some pipe and flanges fitted to it. The front silencer was cut from the centre piece of the exhaust and flanges fitted to that. The whole thing was then fitted with the cat in place, making my car fully road legal.
icon_biggrin.gif

The exhaust is now considerably louder however it sounds superb.
icon_biggrin.gif
The exhaust being the HKS version it still has one silencer fitted at the back so it is not too loud. I have a rattle that has developed which I am getting sorted next week (think the back box is catching on something). The missus is now barred from travelling in the car - she will only complain.
icon_smile.gif

Finally a couple of pieces of bling for the engine bay:

HKS radiator cap...

HKS Oil Cap...

Along with some extra stickers...

That's it for this year (I really mean that this time) as I want to get some enjoyment out of the car. I have some plans for next year and will reveal them when they are done.
icon_wink.gif

As per Stoo, you have been busy!

Are you intending to run the cat all of the time? Have you had the map tweaked to suit?

You could always have two maps on the Flashpro and swap when over if you take the cat off for track. ;)

As per Stoo, you have been busy!

Are you intending to run the cat all of the time? Have you had the map tweaked to suit?

You could always have two maps on the Flashpro and swap when over if you take the cat off for track. ;)

Yes, busy and skint again. Lol

I am running the cat all the time as my insurer stated they are not allowed to insure it without one. Changes to legislation apapparently. I haven't tweaked the map for the cat. I will look at that next year before Spa.

You coming down to Tdi week tomorrow? Few people having bit of a meet.

Staffs Deltic FN2

Yeah they've made quite a difference :) looking into a front polybush kit now lol

Re: Staffs Deltic FN2

You coming down to Tdi week tomorrow? Few people having bit of a meet.

Hagan and Frankie etc? I should be able to in the morning.

I've got BT coming in the afternoon to install a new line for work. :picardfp:

Lovely car mate, def the fastest colour, may steal some of your mod ideas :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Has to be induction kit, already put on some wind deflectors, front grill badge and custom vipe-R boot badge! Want to do something similar to loxy, as in tuning the engine without forced induction, not sure how much I can improve what is already a great looking car

Latest mod is a bit of bling, nice CF vented bonnet. Car is dirty and it was raining this morning when I fitted it so you'll have to excuse the terrible pics. You get the idea though.

Back