• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Standard ECU - different setup's from Honda?

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Sorry about the topic title.

After my cars very surprising yet accurate 239 FBHP result I got talking about the possibility that my ECU or something might be slightly different to other std CTR's.

I have heard rumours that when Hondata do the reflash, every now and again they get an ECU with certain paramaters already played with ie Honda messing around with it, so I am suspecting I got one of these in my car.

Anyone like to elaborate on this?

BTW I will put my car back to standard and do a run in the future at some point.

Hmmmmm, intresting thought but i can't really see it myself... The ECU's will be mass produced automatically so i doubt they'd do that kind of thing, there's no reason for them to.... :roll: :wink:

Nah...not heard that one.
You do get some cars reading high and some low though with same mods on. :wink:

milano_chris said:
After my cars very surprising yet accurate 239 FBHP result I got talking about the possibility that my ECU or something might be slightly different to other std CTR's.

You got 196wbhp with just GruppeM & Spoon catback ??? :shock:

CTR_Paul said:
milano_chris said:

I made 192 on 3 dynos with same.
some cars make more power thn others for some reason. :?

tp said:
CTR_Paul said:
milano_chris said:

You had K-Pro when you made that, Chris does not.

tp said:
And he will be looking at close to that...ignoring the transmission mods.

I have just taken part in a GTI-6 RR day at Millway Andover. First time cars been on a RR since modding it. I'm going back later this week after fitting the Toda manifold and a basic remap to compare with todays results so will have results on the same RR. Generally happy. I will post the plots later but...

I got 192 on my first run with the tuned map and 193 second run with the CAI map. This gives us a good indication of the std map differences before we start really tuning.

So...with 20% losses that seem to be regarded as norm for the CTR that puts me at about 240bhp! Before I fit the manifold and start proper tuning. 8)

There was a LCR 210bhp there as well.........and he made 193 as well....only his was at the fly and mine was wbhp.

BTW according to the 6's the dyno seemed to be running lower than expected.

I'm running GruppeM, Spoon catback, K-pro, hondata gasket and earthing kit......and bart simpson air freshner. :twisted:

CTR_Paul said:
tp said:
CTR_Paul said:
milano_chris said:

You had K-Pro when you made that, Chris does not.

tp said:
And he will be looking at close to that...ignoring the transmission mods.

I have just taken part in a GTI-6 RR day at Millway Andover. First time cars been on a RR since modding it. I'm going back later this week after fitting the Toda manifold and a basic remap to compare with todays results so will have results on the same RR. Generally happy. I will post the plots later but...

I got 192 on my first run with the tuned map and 193 second run with the CAI map. This gives us a good indication of the std map differences before we start really tuning.

So...with 20% losses that seem to be regarded as norm for the CTR that puts me at about 240bhp! Before I fit the manifold and start proper tuning. 8)

There was a LCR 210bhp there as well.........and he made 193 as well....only his was at the fly and mine was wbhp.

BTW according to the 6's the dyno seemed to be running lower than expected.

I'm running GruppeM, Spoon catback, K-pro, hondata gasket and earthing kit......and bart simpson air freshner. :twisted:

:oops:
Oh yeah.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Would take figures as a pinch of salt then. Remember dyno's cant really be compared. they are a tuning tool.
Best guide is if a std car ran at the same time they you get a good comparison.

When at the k-pro launch day at CPL, Doug said that sometimes on 2004 model CTR's he had seen ECU's where the internals were not quite standard to what he had seen before (mine was as expected on a 53 plate). I'm sure Doug wouldn't be telling me porkies.

Whatever the differences, Chris's car certainly seems to be a goodun, as I run 195 bhp wheel / 242 bhp fly straight after with Mugen airbox / k-pro / DCRH / spoon b-pipe and N1, which is pretty much par for the course with those mods

Jon

can you both meet up at a private road and make a few side by side comparisons? :wink: that would prove that the dyno claim is right if in the real world both cars are evenly paced.

owgees said:
can you both meet up at a private road and make a few side by side comparisons? :wink: that would prove that the dyno claim is right if in the real world both cars are evenly paced.

A couple of BHP difference won't make much of a difference in the real world.

I'm just trying to assertain why my car got such high figures.

I guess the only way would be to do a run on the SAME dyno stock.

milano_chris said:
owgees said:

A couple of BHP difference won't make much of a difference in the real world.

I'm just trying to assertain why my car got such high figures.

I guess the only way would be to do a run on the SAME dyno stock.
exactly. in theroy with his mods, your mate should be the faster car. If the dyno is right, then you should be evenly paced.

My CTR was tested on CPL's Dyno and produced 160.3 wbhp in total standard condition. This is with 27,500 ish miles on the clock. :D

I have been told that some stock CTR's will produce 155 wbhp. Casual variation. :shock:

Would Chris's autobahn runs have improved the overall power of the car?

Here in the UK, it's not possible (safely) to run our cars at 120mph + legally, for extended periods of time, whereas with Chris's high speed runs on the autobahns and runs round the ring, he often is.

Perhaps this increased performance is a result of more time spent at the top end of the speedo?

I'm interested to see what my CTR bhp is as I didn't follow the standard run in method that most owners did. ie not engaging vtec for the first 600 miles or whatever.

Different driving styles and run in methods would surely have an effect on each car's performance.

Excellent results Chris.

Tim.

I'd put it down to manufacturer tolerances in the engine. I work in an engine plant. For some engines we have 4 different grade pistons that are selected then used depending on what a machine will tell us about the size of the bore that's just been machined. As such I've seen engines being hot tested that deviate by as much 12BHP from one another. I think Chris has just got a good engine rather than a 'tweaked' ECU. Could be wrong though but I'm just drawing from my own experience.

Timo said:
Would Chris's autobahn runs have improved the overall power of the car?

Here in the UK, it's not possible (safely) to run our cars at 120mph + legally, for extended periods of time, whereas with Chris's high speed runs on the autobahns and runs round the ring, he often is.

Perhaps this increased performance is a result of more time spent at the top end of the speedo?

I'm interested to see what my CTR bhp is as I didn't follow the standard run in method that most owners did. ie not engaging vtec for the first 600 miles or whatever.

Different driving styles and run in methods would surely have an effect on each car's performance.

Excellent results Chris.

Tim.

Could well be. I do enjoy the autobahn every now and again :lol:

CTR said:
I'd put it down to manufacturer tolerances in the engine. I work in an engine plant. For some engines we have 4 different grade pistons that are selected then used depending on what a machine will tell us about the size of the bore that's just been machined. As such I've seen engines being hot tested that deviate by as much 12BHP from one another. I think Chris has just got a good engine rather than a 'tweaked' ECU. Could be wrong though but I'm just drawing from my own experience.

Makes sence from an engeneering point of view.

It could well be, I might actually e-mail Hondata and ask them about the "out of spec" ECU's they may or may not have seen from Honda.

CPL Racing said:
The 'out of spec' ecu's had circuitry related to traction control as far as remember.

Traction control? I didn't think Honda would have played with this?

Back