• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

start up problem!

Hi Guys

wonder if anyone can help me, ive got a Honda Civic Type R 2004, when the weather is pretty cold and my cars left over night,
when i first start it up in the morning, it revs up and down on its own for about 7 seconds, then it just kicks in as normal after that..

it only happens when its cold, when the weathers warmer its fine.

any ideas whats causing this??

any help would be great thanks.
Dave

Wonder if yours has a KPro remapped ECU?

IIRC they rev up and down on their own in colder weather prior to settling down to a consistent idle.

I dont have Kpro but I'm sure someone far better placed to concur or point out otherwise will be along soon. :)

PS

I'm guessing by the post count you've not had the car very long.
Did you buy it private? And did the previous owner or seller say anything about the car being remapped?

Hi jmr,

I've had the car about 6 months now, brought it from a garage, got all the old paper work from the previous owner and by the looks of things he's done nothing to it, so i'm pretty sure it's not been remapped,
had the car put through a diagnostic check and come back with zero faults, oils all topped
up, batterys fine, Spark plugs seem fine, is there anything else I could check?

Wierd.

Free bump to see if anyone can help now its back to the top of the list ;)

The icv may get a bit sticky on cold mornings. Perhaps a clean may sort it out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Davey1
ICV = Idle Control Valve

I almost said this.
Good call Griffin - worth checking out.

Back