• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Starter motor noise

Since the temp's dropped the past couple of weeks, iv noticed that on a cold start in the morning, just after the starter motor's started the engine and disengaged..... a strange noise/rattle happes for approx 1/2secs.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have an 04' CTR facelift. :?:

I have had it a few times. There is a few other people with the same problem on the other forum. Dealers seem to say its normal.

Sounds similar to the problem i've had for a while now. No matter what the temp but on a cold start i.e 1st thing in the morning when i start her up she fires up no probs but them for a second afterwards there seems to be a grating noise (sounds like the starter motor still trying to turn) yet when she went in for hr service back in April they said that they couldn't find anything wrong :?

Mines been doing it for literally months now.

Looks like its not just me - annoying thing is mine only does it on cold first start.

So even if i do take it to the dealer, by the time iv driven there.... 20/25mins away, the cars warm as pie! doh!

:shock:

m888arc said:
Looks like its not just me - annoying thing is mine only does it on cold first start.

So even if i do take it to the dealer, by the time iv driven there.... 20/25mins away, the cars warm as pie! doh!

:shock:

Ditto here - sounds like the same problem

m888arc said:
Since the temp's dropped the past couple of weeks, iv noticed that on a cold start in the morning, just after the starter motor's started the engine and disengaged..... a strange noise/rattle happes for approx 1/2secs.

Mate, this is due to colder thicker oil taking a little longer to reach the top end. It is normal and nowt to worry about.

Yep..I've had this a few times over the last couple of months.....funny though....it never happened last winter, only since I have had it serviced in October. :?

I get this occasionally too, had the cylinder head off recently and the starter motor is exposed, it was rusty as f*ck and so was the solenoid, surely that won't do it any favours.

chippyleigh said:
I get this occasionally too, had the cylinder head off recently and the starter motor is exposed, it was rusty as f*ck and so was the solenoid, surely that won't do it any favours.

Mate, the bendix mechanism will always be coated in light oxide etc but heavy rust is unusual. But, under no circumstances should you be tempted to grease or oil it, it must remain dry or it will collect all the clutch wear particles and any other piece of crud and eventually stick along the worm drive.

Hope this helps.

BigRed said:
m888arc said:

Mate, this is due to colder thicker oil taking a little longer to reach the top end. It is normal and nowt to worry about.

If this is normal then why have none of my other cars done it??
And also why isn't everybody who owns a Type-R suffering with the same problem??

I'm in the middle of speaking to HUK about this problem as there are far too many people getting this horrible noise on startup!

Mine started after the first service in december and has done it for the last 3 months but strangly enough hasn't done it for 5 or 6 days now!?!?
It also didn't make the noise this morning and it was covered in ice which is making it even more confusing!?!?

Somebody needs to get to the bottom of this and quickly!

I told HUK that i am aware of well over 100 people with this problem but they said that they have only had a couple of calls to HUK regarding this!

We all need to phone HUK so that they will realise this IS a common problem and hopefully do something about it!

Rtype said:
BigRed said:
m888arc said:

And also why isn't everybody who owns a Type-R suffering with the same problem??

I'm in the middle os speaking to HUK about this problem as there are far too many people getting this horrible noise on startup!

Incidentally my car didn't make the noise thismorning and it wwas covered in ice which is making it even more confusing!?!?

Mine does it mate but only somtimes. It can go for a week without making the noise then I can start it up and it makes the most awful noise. My two previous CTR's never did this :?

I phoned HUK up today and am waiting for somebody from the Technical dept to call me back and have a chat with me!

Whats the number so i can give them a call. As i have mentioned before i'm experienceing the same as most. I hadn't heard the noise for a week of so and then the other morning i started her up and the noise that 'something' made really gave me casue for concern, 3/4 times loader than usual. :shock: :shock: :? :?

Rtype said:
BigRed said:
m888arc said:

Only trying to help mate, just saying that in most cases, start up noises and rattles are (mostly) due to oil starvation at startup made worse when oil is thick/cold. Your problem may be different - good luck with getting sorted.

BigRed said:
Rtype said:
BigRed said:
m888arc said:

Only trying to help mate, just saying that in most cases, start up noises and rattles are (mostly) due to oil starvation at startup made worse when oil is thick/cold. Your problem may be different - good luck with getting sorted.

Didn't mean to sound arssy mate, was just asking the question :smt023

OK, spoke to HUK and they said that a couple of people had reported the problem but when i told them that i knew of over 100 they were shocked but said that unless people logged it with them they would not investigate it!

However, she told me to phone up the Service Manager of the first dealership that i had taken it to (who incidentally did hear the noise) and book it in for several days so that they could try pin point the source of the noise.

She also said that if they didn't have a replacement car available for me whilst mine was in that she would organize one for me, so i'm waiting for the service manager to phone me back now (when i phoned at 3.30 he had already gone home :roll: ).

WE NEED EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM TO PHONE HUK AND LOG IT SO THEY ARE AWARE!

01753 590 760

The girl i spoke to was called Jo Proud and was very helpfull!

Rtype said:
BigRed said:
Rtype said:
BigRed said:
m888arc said:

Didn't mean to sound arssy mate, was just asking the question :smt023

No probs mate :)

Back