• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Starter motor noise

Rtype said:
OK, spoke to HUK and they said that a couple of people had reported the problem but when i told them that i knew of over 100 they were shocked but said that unless people logged it with them they would not investigate it!

However, she told me to phone up the Service Manager of the first dealership that i had taken it to (who incidentally did hear the noise) and book it in for several days so that they could try pin point the source of the noise.

She also said that if they didn't have a replacement car available for me whilst mine was in that she would organize one for me, so i'm waiting for the service manager to phone me back now (when i phoned at 3.30 he had already gone home :roll: ).

WE NEED EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM TO PHONE HUK AND LOG IT SO THEY ARE AWARE!

01753 590 760

The girl i spoke to was called Jo Proud and was very helpfull!

Good work mate :smt023

I will ring them........Mine has not done this for a few weeks but it used to be every other day..... :roll: :?

but I don't really want to leave my car at the stealers for a few days...... :evil:

I would rather put up with the occasional noise.

Thanks for the number. WE REALLY SHOULD RING TO LOG IT.
If a problem is found in the future that relates to this noise, then we'll have something to back with.
I'm ringing tomorrow....... Anyone else ???
Think I'll tell them about the weird burning smell that peeps are noticing too.....What do you think ? (Especially as the main dealer didn't know what to do about the smell so I told them to change the clutch -AND THEY DID -under warranty......Not sure if its cured it yet..

micktyper said:
Think I'll tell them about the weird burning smell that peeps are noticing too.......

mmm...I have that 'quirk' too.... :roll: :evil:

yowserctr said:
micktyper said:
Think I'll tell them about the weird burning smell that peeps are noticing too.......

mmm...I have that 'quirk' too.... :roll: :evil:
Mmmmmmmm Theres been LOTS of talk about that too. Everything from poly bag stuck on exhaust to a dead cat !!!!!
Seriously - How many drivers are noticing this rubbery/chemical type smell -often coming out from rear wheel arch -depending on the direction of the breeze when you get out. Now please don't reply about burning the tyres to hell etc. It can happen after a quiet drive back from town with the missus....
But if it bothers you........

Like I said on other threads.......it only seems to happen to me on short trips i.e. 4-5 mile driving like a granny trips. :?

Does not seem to happen when having a full blast over the Brecon Beacons... :twisted:

but apart from the noise, the burning smell and my uneven tyre wear.............I love the bloody thing. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

I know this is an old thread, but as it is starting to get cold again just wondering if people are hearing this grinding noise? Mine has done this the last couple of frosty mornings :? I checked my oil thinking it might be low, but it is fine.

Did anything come about for the people that logged this with HUK?

Nick

I've started getting it mate, had my 2nd service today at abp and they used 15-50 oil which is different from the last stuff i had so we shall see if this makes a difference!

Mine is in for a week for gbox problem and have also told them about this screeching/grinding noise on start up.

Will let you know the out come :)

recently noticed this lately and as this is my first cold winter with my 1st ctr i am so pissed at this noise. on the other forums two guys had their starter motors replaced which they claim fixed it.

I have this stange sound now. After the initail start in the morning before my work commute I get a grating noise for a few seconds. However, when I start the car on the weekend for the first time, usually late morning I do not get it.

My car has always done this ever since I got it.

Happens about 1 in every 3 or 4 starts.

I'd imagine seeing as it's been doing it for so long and that so many people have the same problem, it's not causing any damge and is just yet another quirk of CTR ownership :D

yep just starting getting this noise sounds like the starter motor is whizzing round again once car has started, its sounds annoying

this happen to me this morning for the first time in about a year.

the only thing different from starting up compared to any other day was the morning temperature. it was 13 degrees celcius, way below average for this time of year.

i agree, i believe its the colder temperatures affecting the oil. tends to be a common problem with the k20a engines.

Back