• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Starter motor noise

He seems to think its the seals on the cam tensioner not holding the pressure to keep it tight
And he said it can be a ******* of a job because some chains run all through the block so he goin to
Check at work how much all the bits involved are in case it's not just seals I think it's more labour than parts unless the whole kit needs changing but as ours is only doing it for a second once or twice a day the other bits should be fine he had to change one on a Saab but that did it all the time when running so needed everything cost the bloke 800 so hoping its no way near that!!

Thanks snapcore :)

Just thought I would update this thread with my findings. I noticed my dipstick was knackered, the handle at the top had slid up the metal stick breaking away from the black plastic base. This made the dipstick longer when inserted into the engine compared with a non-screwed one.
I've got myself a new dipstick and it's a hell of a lot shorter that my old one by a good few cm! Since I've got the new dipstick I haven't had any noises at all for 2 days now, where as before I had it every single start for weeks.

It's probably just a coincidence but I'm hoping the noise stays gone :cool:

Sorry to bump the thread again chaps. But ignore my post above, after I made the post it was business as usual with the noise lol. It's been into Honda today and they say it's a water pump. They stripped it all out and apparently it was knackered and very noisy once they spun it!

Oh well, it will be going in next week for this to be done, fingers crossed it will solve it :( Strange, because various places on the interwebs says it's the timing chain tensioner!

That's interesting. I will try to record my starter sound for comparison.
Years of messing around with cars I would have always said it was the starter !

Back