• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Starter motor on the blink?

When I start my ep3 type r it's makeing a horrible noise just after the engine as started. At first I didn't have a clue what it was but its the same noise as when I turn the key when the engine is already running.

Is this my starter motor? Does it mean its broke or can it be fixed it starts up fine but for how long I don't know

Anyone had this or know what it maybe?

Thanks Lee

You can get the starter stripped out, cleaned and put back in but it will come back. You can replace the starter motor itself.

Like I said, it's not something to be really worried about. It's not usually a sign that anything sinister is going to happen.

Mine does this when its cold. It did it this morning and it made a really horrible noise far worse than normal. Sounded like something blowing their nose with a terrible cold. Usually I start the car, take my daughter to the child minder which is about 5 mins away. When I start the car after dropping her off, its silent but today it made the noise again so it must had been really cold this morning. I also stopped for a third time to get milk but it was fine third time starting.

Did exactly the same in mine this morning, was worried it might be the chain until I found a video on this site where someone had recorded the noise. So, just the starter motor; not the most desirable 'feature' as Loxy put it, but it's nothing to worry about.

Back