• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

starter motor playing up

Hi,

Had my starter off the car today to discover why its not doing anything when turning the key

Ive had the thing open and found a lot of rust debris inside... is that normal :confused:

I have followed troubleshooting guides, checked everything aside from the brushes end...this was because the screws are just that, screwed and rounded
Ive found no definitive problem so far, when i reassembled the motor and give the smaller terminal battery voltage it now fires the gear out but nothing happens if i send the voltage to the main terminal.
Im thinking it might be something to do with the brushes...
Wondering if you guys have any comments or advice i can try... :)

Have you checked all the earths? I had problems where the starter would stop and start working on my DC2, turned out it was all down to a dirty earth.

I have a new starter motor now, problem solved. Old one was from another engine and by the looks of the inside was well past it.

Did you do this yourself mate? How did you get to the starter motor and was it difficult? Mine is playing up.

Back