• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering rack or clutch release bearing or gearbox?????????

Hi guys Im really stuck, I started hearing a grinding noise in my type r but only when turn right, I took it to the garage and they said they think its the clutch release bearing? I dont no much about cars but I want to make sure I dont pay £500 for something not causing the grinding noise! Iv read on here though that a few have had all bearings changed and the noise still remains, now that may be a different noise but either way it cost them all a lot!!! The garage mentioned if you press the throttle down and release the clutch the noise came and went! I did this didn't notice a noise! So im thinking have they found a different noise? Are they listening for the same grinding I am?

I had this with my old Type R (03)....Done so much research into it my eyes nearly popped out... I had three problems, I never found the answer, although I think i'll get as close as i can to the answer.

Problem 1: Everytime I turned right, there was a louder drone noise (coming from the front - Engine)..
Problem 2: Squeeky steering wheel..
Problem 3: Every now and then, the steering would snap left or right... only slightly, but noticable..

From what I gather, there was problems with Type R's pre-04 - Many got fixed under warrenty, many unfortunatly didnt. But I am pretty sure my problem was linked with the steering rack - and I think the cost of a new steering rack was between £500-£1000.

I cant say for sure you have the same problem, although the drone when you turn right is definately something I had! in the end, I found out that my problem wasnt life threatening... I just had to pay out, or get used to the irritation - i decided to get used to it.

Hope that points you in the right direction...What year is yours?

a grinding noise usually occurs from spinning parts so if you can make the noise happen when going round a roundabout and its constant then i would rule out steering rack, the engine and gearbox are mounted in a transverse fashion and the front drive shafts are mounted into the side of the box. when cornering there is some amount of force put onto the drive shafts from
inertia witch are directly connected to your diff centre. inside the diff are sun gears and planet gears and they control the wheel speed when cornering, the sun gears are attached to the drive shafts one each side for left/right shaft and the planet gears connect the sun gears together and act as idle gears, when going in a straight line the sun/planet gears are fixed and when cornering the gears rotate so the left wheel can rotate faster than the right when turning right. if these get damaged usually from wheelspin then symptoms such as yours can occur. i do not think its a clutch release bearing. when bearings get knackered the make a horrendous noise and are defiantly noticeable when in motion. do you have a recording or a vid of the sound?

a grinding noise usually occurs from spinning parts so if you can make the noise happen when going round a roundabout and its constant then i would rule out steering rack, the engine and gearbox are mounted in a transverse fashion and the front drive shafts are mounted into the side of the box. when cornering there is some amount of force put onto the drive shafts from
inertia witch are directly connected to your diff centre. inside the diff are sun gears and planet gears and they control the wheel speed when cornering, the sun gears are attached to the drive shafts one each side for left/right shaft and the planet gears connect the sun gears together and act as idle gears, when going in a straight line the sun/planet gears are fixed and when cornering the gears rotate so the left wheel can rotate faster than the right when turning right. if these get damaged usually from wheelspin then symptoms such as yours can occur. i do not think its a clutch release bearing. when bearings get knackered the make a horrendous noise and are defiantly noticeable when in motion. do you have a recording or a vid of the sound?

Yeah mine was defo not grinding...hard to explain.. More of a loud "engine" noise, or drone? cant think of any other word to describe it..

ill try just listened to it I can tell but sound quality not brilliant so might try again later with a passenger but we'll see! Still makes noise regardless of clutch being pressed or not, sometimes noise carries on after straightened up but only got to turn wheel to left slightly and it goes so to me must be definite something on the right!

ill try just listened to it I can tell but sound quality not brilliant so might try again later with a passenger but we'll see! Still makes noise regardless of clutch being pressed or not, sometimes noise carries on after straightened up but only got to turn wheel to left slightly and it goes so to me must be definite something on the right!

sounds like the left side to me. get a video uploaded later and hopefully we will get down to the problem. does the noise go when you turn left or does it come back after straightening up? does the noise occur after breaking or whilst breaking? does the car drive straight or does it pull either left or right? is it more prominent whilst accelerating or decelerating? or more in a certain gear? more noise on full lock or same?

Last edited by a moderator:

are you sure the CTR EP3 is fitted with an epicyclic differential??? :S

are you sure the CTR EP3 is fitted with an epicyclic differential??? :S

sorry my bad,:oops: bloddy land rovers. pinion gears and spider gears in a open diff. planet and sun in epicyclic.

diff.gif

yeah i thought it was an open diff myself :) no worries mate, are u forces then? or just work at land rover? lol im a VM in the reme

so just going to try and upload a new improved video which captures the grinds pretty well! Now iv had someone in the carwho has noticed the noise its definatly when turn right but noise is from the left?! Oh and Iv described it as a grind were as she said its a high pitched grind or squelly noise!

yeah i thought it was an open diff myself :) no worries mate, are u forces then? or just work at land rover? lol im a VM in the reme

nah. im a toolmaker but i do work for a landrover only transmission company. so your a royal electronic mechanical engineer, the job i wanted but too much agro for my liking.

Back