• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering rack or clutch release bearing or gearbox?????????

aye, well its royal electrical mechanical engineer but close enough :) is it me or can anybody else 'not' hear anything from that video??? to be honest pal if it only makes the noise when you turn right... and only on turning right it has got to be a steering fault, its hard to diagnose from just a video to be honest but if it were anything else such as a clutch release bearing - noise would be heard on operation of the clutch or inoperation of the clutch. and if it were the differntial it would be heard at all times to be honest. from what you have said i can only assume its steering related pal. hope ive been of some use :S

Grinding would or could be anything that rotates. Bearing, brake parts to rotor or drums etc. EP3 has no drums though... I think its to do with the wheels, evidentally its coming from the left while your turning right. All that weight is being distributed onto the left hand side of the car and thats when you hear your electric tooth brush!

sounds like a scraping noise of some kind, is it coming from any particular area of the car? e.g front RH wheel station? etc its got to be coming from a localised area

My mate had a similar noise to this...Very Tinny... It was a build up of rust in the drum... when he went a certain speed and turned right thats when it happened!

My mate had a similar noise to this...Very Tinny... It was a build up of rust in the drum... when he went a certain speed and turned right thats when it happened!

that's what im thinking, my pads squeeled until i turned slightly left. thats why i keep on about braking:lol:

No I just dont think its linked with the steering Rack...The noise is very tinny, and you can hear the spin rotation of the noise is linked with the speed of your car. I dont think its a grinding... Its wheel related for sure! I think our mate above suggested that it wasnt Clutch related. Obviously this is hard to determine from your clip... But there good indications...

But i dont understand how it could be my brakes im not applying them! and it doesnt make the noise when applying the brakes in a straight line! I am due them changing though!

doubt it has anything to do with the brakes as the noise isnt under braking... and actually goes away under braking. it would be rare for a bearing to only make a noise when turning right, and they usually make a high pitch squealing noise, its funny how you talk about a brake drum because i had a very similar noise on my old astra that turned out to be grit in the rear drum, but as you say the type r is not fitted with drums and this problem isnt anything to do with brakes. when things go in gears of any kind the noise will be heard on all movement in that particular gear (for instance).. not just turning right. im still thinking steering pal. if you are doing nothing other than turning right when the noise is heard. eg not changing gear, braking etc points a big finger at steering...

You need to try a variation of activities in your car until you localise the area more, find out if it happens at low speeds? Full lock, etc? Low/High speeds...Maybe the possibility of something in the tyre?

But i dont understand how it could be my brakes im not applying them! and it doesnt make the noise when applying the brakes in a straight line! I am due them changing though!

the pads if old can rattle around in the calliper and cause squeal or rumbling when the brakes are not applied. when cornering the loose pad can shift from a position where they are stable to a position where they vibrate and make noise. when the brakes are applied the pads is sandwiched up to the disc and there is no play for vibration.

This video shows a knackered steering rack.

[video=youtube;7qweNnSwkS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qweNnSwkS0[/video]

Back