• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering rack or clutch release bearing or gearbox?????????

Its not dangerous to have it like that, just annoying! So thats Why I can confirm its nothing to do with the SR!

Thanks dotty but what exactly am i listening for cant really make much out!
So just been out again and it would seem that when I apply the brakes the noise stops if that helps?

I had this with my old Type R (03)....Done so much research into it my eyes nearly popped out... I had three problems, I never found the answer, although I think i'll get as close as i can to the answer.

Problem 1: Everytime I turned right, there was a louder drone noise (coming from the front - Engine)..
Problem 2: Squeeky steering wheel..
Problem 3: Every now and then, the steering would snap left or right... only slightly, but noticable..

From what I gather, there was problems with Type R's pre-04 - Many got fixed under warrenty, many unfortunatly didnt. But I am pretty sure my problem was linked with the steering rack - and I think the cost of a new steering rack was between £500-£1000.

I cant say for sure you have the same problem, although the drone when you turn right is definately something I had! in the end, I found out that my problem wasnt life threatening... I just had to pay out, or get used to the irritation - i decided to get used to it.

Hope that points you in the right direction...What year is yours?

This was My original post.... Basically...Yours isnt linked with the steering Rack...That Vid shows a Fcuuuking annoying SQUEEK!!2nd half of the vid! imagine an over polished steering column...leather on leather almost...although its nothing to do with that, thats the kind of noise it makes!

You need to try a variation of activities in your car until you localise the area more, find out if it happens at low speeds? Full lock, etc? Low/High speeds...Maybe the possibility of something in the tyre?

I find i only make the noise when on the move not at low speeds i.e. when parking or pulling out!

This was My original post.... Basically...Yours isnt linked with the steering Rack...That Vid shows a Fcuuuking annoying SQUEEK!!2nd half of the vid! imagine an over polished steering column...leather on leather almost...although its nothing to do with that, thats the kind of noise it makes!

Ahh right Thanks for clearing that up!

If it only happens at high speeds, then I think its to do with the wheel...Get it checked out at honda...Let them find the source...then go to a garage to get it fixed..Honda should'nt charge you to find the source. Obviously if its electrical then you'll get charged probably. But this defo isnt electrical.

It probably happens at high speeds because what ever is making that noise needs velocity... Brakes maybe, Tyre (Something in the tyre)

I've just remembered, I had a noise like this in my old company car...turns out it was a nail in the tyre... Obviously you wont notice it at low speeds, but the more your moving, the faster and louder it becomes as it hits the concrete. You could have something on the far edge of your tyre, hence why it only happens when you turn right, as more edge tyre is being used

could it be tyre pressure? trying to cross off the things to check!

probably not. if the noise goes when you apply the brakes then im certain you are in need of some new pads seeing as there in need of replacement anyways. next time the noise comes just gently apply the brakes and if it goes then you know what it is.

Either that or make it a tyre pressure problem and you've got yourself a £250,000 house and you probably would be transfered to the Lambo Forum!

Getting the brakes done today but showed the video to mechanic on my phone who said that was the noise he heard briefly and said he still thinks its either a gear box bearing or clutch release bearing??

:smt023:changed all break pads which really needed doing and up to now I have heard no noise so may of cured it thanks again guys!!:smt023:

Back