• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering rack slider advice.

Hello all, time has come to spend money on a few parts I need for the civic so I'm after a bit of advice on the title. Basically I have a knocking/rattling when going over uneven roads at slowish speed and also when I'm engaging either left or right turn usually when stationary or just setting off I have 1 loud metallic knock front end. Now I have changed everything else so it's time for the steering rack slider and fingers crossed. Where is the best place to get this part and is there any aftermarket upgrades available?? Also if I'm way off the mark and anyone has had this noise and cured it please point me in the right direction as it's highly annoying and frustrating not being able to find.

I currently have a knock/clunk when i turn the steering wheel half a turn left and right.. its absolutely driving me crazy. I haven't checked over everything yet so i will do that but i have a feeling it could possibly be the slider too. Have you checked all the usual's e.g. mounts, drop links etc?

The OEM sliders are only £16ish but there is a brass slider available for replacing the OEM plastic one.

same here pal its so annoying its unreal. I have replaced top mounts, track rod ends, drop links and ball joints so my thinking its that its got to be the slider?? I have felt it and there is definitely play in it. Yeah that's also when I get mine its rather loud its almost like someone is banging on the chassis with a hammer. where abouts can you get the brass slider from jimbo??

There is a shop that sell them, but I cant remember which website I saw it on, but that one is essentially the same thing

Also if you are lowered might be worth fitting the steering rack riser at the same time, IIRC tegiwa sell them

Ah ok I will be inspecting everything soon, i have checked engine mounts and drop links - they seem to be fine. However, I think the gearbox mount may be causing it as I encountered a loud clunk on hard acceleration and shifting on few occasions in the past, so will inspect that too. I have had my mate turn the wheel while im going round the car trying to locate, but it couldnt hear anything around the wheels/suspension. I have it booked in with TGM so will have a word with them too. In terms of where you can find a slider, I am not sure so that will be helpful to know, anyone?

You can get the slider from the traders on here, hendy etc.

But the brass one is only available two places as far as im aware and one is the ebay link a few post above

Thanks jimbo, I will have a search and see what I can find. Yeah I'm on coilovers and have seen the raiser although never knew what difference they made??

Thanks jimbo, I will have a search and see what I can find. Yeah I'm on coilovers and have seen the raiser although never knew what difference they made??

I am currently on stock suspension but still facing the knocking. Basically, the arms get repositioned when throwing on aftermarkets suspension, which increases wear to bushes and affects stability etc. The raiser will re-position the centre of the arms back to the OEM specification..

I have the brass one from Projekt K. Before that I fitted the genuine plastic one which only seemed to last a few months or so. I'm lowered on coilovers with a rack raiser bracket which will put more stress on the rack as it almost acts as a lever.

Ok so I'm guessing that the brass one is a must upgrade then from 'OE' & a rack raiser is that a must for people with coilovers??

You can get away without one up to 30mm drop, but it is advisable to fit the rack raiser as it returns the rack and arms closer to OE height.

Back