• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering rack

Noticed a creaking noise coming from end when steering on friday so took it to garage on monday. Need new steering rack £1400 fitted :eek: thank fook still got 2 weeks left on warranty:cool:

Noticed a creaking noise coming from end when steering on friday so took it to garage on monday. Need new steering rack £1400 fitted :eek: thank fook still got 2 weeks left on warranty:cool:

Hopefully it will be covered.

The other option is to buy a second hand one from a brokers at a fraction of the price. I picked up one from a brokers the other day for £130 off an 05 plate that had only done 11,000 miles. Good as new. Then just get a mechanic to fit in their weekend off for cash in hand. Job done.

What sort of noise was it?? As ive started hearin a knocking from the front left when driving over bumpy roads at speeds upto 40mph! But only does it every now and then.. Any help would be welcome

no-ones sent me 5quid yet...:p

It basically involves squirting a lube inside the rack at certain points along the length of each side...I and others have used wd40 with instant results...any spray lube works though. Lasts for months.

This has led me to believe the age old steering rack problem is merely the working components of the rack are dry. Simple as that.

There are members who have gone through 2 or 3 racks under warranty due to this noise, it is a problem which has reeked havoc on the type r communtiy for years and all it takes is a 5quid can of lube and a stanley knife, problem solved.

thanks for listening, I'm here all week.:cool:

I will take some and highight the cuts I made...they are just very small incisions that will close up once you have finished. The plastic sleeves on each side of the rack are quite a sturdy plastic and if you make a small incision rather than a hole then it will close up and there are no adverse effects. I'm about 6 months into this fix and have sprayed twice...the noise didn't come back after the first time tbh, but was under the bonnet performing my daily cleaning ritual..(jk)..and gave the rack a little top-up whilst I was there.

This thread is worthless without pics!!

Thanks for the info tho, hopefully will make a big difference in the long run!

patience.

It's not rocket science anyway...take a stanley knife and a can of wd40 to the car and kickstart the grey matter...Spray the lube in 3 or 4 areas along each side of the rack...You have a little straw with the wd40 so make an incision just big enough for that...spray generous amounts in each area...start the car and give it lock to lock a couple of times and hey presto, noise gone, no 1500quid bill. Thank me later.:lol:

What is the rack and where is it?

There are 2 of these..

images

..on each side of your steering rack behind th engine. (you are such a noob nick)

You can just see one of them here in my engine bay

DSCN0619.jpg

2 arms leave the rack and are connected to the back of each hub via the steering arm droplink. seen below

DSCN0611.jpg

Each time there is forwards or backwards momentum through the wheels, an invisble force ( :D) travels along the steering arms to the rack and a slight twist occurs...if the rack is dry inside it makes that horrible creaking sound.

I was asking on behalf of the noobs :cool:

That looks more like rubber than plastic but i`ll remember this thread if i`m ever up the creak without a paddle

yeah, likely it is rubber.

Tis a good fix when you are facing a 1500quid bill with no manufacturer warranty. Lets face it, most garages won't fork out for a new rack because of an annoying noise, so if you do have a run of the mill 3 month sales warranty you would need to have bought it from a very generous garage to get a replacement unit.

here is a video of the noise for anyone not sure if they have this problem or not...noise starts at about 1min14s iirc.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7qweNnSwkS0

Last edited by a moderator:
Back