• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering rack

With the problem with the rack you get play in the steering as well, the noise is not the only symptom WD40 will just be hiding the problem not curing it

With the problem with the rack you get play in the steering as well, the noise is not the only symptom WD40 will just be hiding the problem not curing it

There's no play in mine so I can't comment on that, and with the help of wd40 there is no noise now either.

Its not noticeable to the driver. When I noticed the noise from mine I had mot the next day and they told me there was play in the rack so then I took it to Honda.

I have the play in my rack and the car feels horrible to drive.

Will try this and see.

Cheers

Its not noticeable to the driver. When I noticed the noise from mine I had mot the next day and they told me there was play in the rack so then I took it to Honda.

I've had mine mot'd recently, and had the fast road setup done and no-one mentioned there was any play

Maybe I'm in the early stages and it will get worse..something to look forward to I suppose....;)

I was told mine had very slight play hence unnoticeable when driving but if it was left it would gradually get worse and worse until it was noticeable and wouldn't pass an mot

to be honest mate I think these are 2 seperate issues and not connected. There are no parts inside the rubber sleeves that could produce play imo..the rack is basically worm driven, play nromally comes from worn linkages and these are on the outside of the rack, either end of the steering rods. The noise comes from inside the sleeves and goes away with a squirt of wd40...I could be wrong but I am pretty sure they are unconnected...there is certainly no play on my steering...I have also had both steering rod droplinks replaced in the last 30k miles...

i'm going to see Tom @ TGM saturday morning for him to have a look at mine and get a price.

3 hour round trip though & i'm getting there for 8.30! That's going to be fun on a Saturday!

to be honest mate I think these are 2 seperate issues and not connected. There are no parts inside the rubber sleeves that could produce play imo..the rack is basically worm driven, play nromally comes from worn linkages and these are on the outside of the rack, either end of the steering rods. The noise comes from inside the sleeves and goes away with a squirt of wd40...I could be wrong but I am pretty sure they are unconnected...there is certainly no play on my steering...I have also had both steering rod droplinks replaced in the last 30k miles...

You could be right all I know is what I've been told Honda did put on the diagnostic sheet knocking/creaking noise caused by play in steering rack though

Yeah I know warranty expires on wednesday as well, so glad I noticed it when I did

Let us know how you get on Mike, I'm only down the road and mine creaks very quietly but only when I'm turning to full lock as I pull up/off the drive very slowly.

Basically if I'm almost stationary and turning the wheel.

Let us know how you get on Mike, I'm only down the road and mine creaks very quietly but only when I'm turning to full lock as I pull up/off the drive very slowly.

Basically if I'm almost stationary and turning the wheel.

Thats how mine started but seemed to get worse very quickly. Had it done yesterday anyway, I've only taken it for quick drive around the block but noise has gone and steering wheel feels tighter too

I have the play in my rack and the car feels horrible to drive.

Mines like that sometimes. It's ever since i hit a big pot hole coming home from the missus' a couple of months back.

I hope it isn't the rack as i need a new clutch soon...

Back