• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering Rack

Hey all.

Anyone know where the dreaded steering rack knock would come from as i've narrowed mine down to this area (circled)??

I know it's a cheap-o google image but it'll do.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• Steering Rack.jpg
    Steering Rack.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 183
think its worn parts, inside the rubber boots, the part you have circled moves side to side, its a bit like cogs ,the teeth get worn, that makes play that causes the knock. you could remove boots heavly grease the teeth then replace boots ? ive done this before on a merc lasted nearly two years

Found this info very interesting.

With EP3 steering rack mainly everything is OK, there are 2 causes for creaking rack problem and knocking:
1) Yes, one of the issue is lack of grease! Racks are poorly lubricated and after a couple of years, the grease wears out and got dry!
2) Second cause: The weakest point in the rack is SLIDER, it’s made from some kind of plastic and wear out comparatively quick!
Simply buy new Slider and replace it! Lubricate all inner parts and drive happy!
SLIDER part Nr.: 53605-S5A-003
Slider in USA cost ~20$ :mrgreen:

Some pics of slider and rack

DSC02521.jpg

slider1.jpg

slider2.jpg

slider3.jpg

Cheers for that guys. Looks like i may be on the prowl for a slider then. If it doesn't work then i'll look into a brokers for a new one.

Found this info very interesting.

With EP3 steering rack mainly everything is OK, there are 2 causes for creaking rack problem and knocking:
1) Yes, one of the issue is lack of grease! Racks are poorly lubricated and after a couple of years, the grease wears out and got dry!
2) Second cause: The weakest point in the rack is SLIDER, it’s made from some kind of plastic and wear out comparatively quick!
Simply buy new Slider and replace it! Lubricate all inner parts and drive happy!
SLIDER part Nr.: 53605-S5A-003
Slider in USA cost ~20$ :mrgreen:

Some pics of slider and rack

DSC02521.jpg

slider1.jpg

slider2.jpg

slider3.jpg

Whats the bit being pealed off the new slider please

Big job to change this slider? Does the rack need to come off to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone answer this?

I have rumbling noise still coming from the front over gravel at about 10mph.

Struts are fine, new drop links etc.

Im thinking steering rack slider? ideally want to sort it before getting geo done

Can anyone answer this?

I have rumbling noise still coming from the front over gravel at about 10mph.

Struts are fine, new drop links etc.

Im thinking steering rack slider? ideally want to sort it before getting geo done

Yes you need to remove the rack, though it's not too bad a job to do. You don't have to split the rack and completely remove the gaiter though, you can just undo the gaiter clips and slide the gaiter down the rack and there is enough room to get the old slider out and a new one in.

Back