• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering Shake Normal?

I had to blow off some steam so I was racing down the motorway, it was pretty empty, and I was going... lets just say fast... But I was getting shaking from the steering, It wasn't pulling the steering or violent - it was more like a vibration. Is this normal at high speeds?

Or is this some problem unoticable at normal speeds?

It sounds to me like the front wheels may be very slightly out of balance. Mine was like that when i bought it. Had yokos on the front and the original bridgestones on the rear and when i went on the first track day with it there was a noticable shake above 90mph. Chucked them on my mates balancing machine (it is good having friends who also have their own garage) and it only needed a few grams adding. I swapped the tyres shortly after though and didnt get to try them again.

As far as I know, once you get nearer to the top speed of a car, it will start to shake. Out of interest, and you might well not have noticed, did the gearstick vibrate lightly too?

Yeah I heard that having different tyres of different age effects the geometry of the car, I have different tyres on the back than on the front. I never noticed a vibration on the gearstick, I'll have to check that if there's a next time haha.

i jet washed a wheel weight from one of my wheels, it shot off and when straight down the drain. i had it rebalanced the following week as i couldn't go over 60 mph with out it violently shaking.

ive also got this, as i bought some new alloys the other and just put them straight on, after about 60mph i do feel abit of shaking in the steering.
but the car is being lowered next week so it will get tracked and balanced then!

This happens to mine too. I've had three sets of tyres (Potz, T1-R and now budget Nangkang NSIIs) and they have all vibrated at anywhere over 100mph - of course only on private roads ;)

I noticed when changing my front pads and discs that the track rod ends are looking a bit tired and the rubber is split. I'm gonna replace them, get the tracking re-aligned and go from there.

I used to have the same issue, Honda said I needed new tyres as the front were approaching legal minimum. After having two new tyres put on the problem went away.

Back