• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering wobble and knocking feel through the floor.

The last few days my FN2 has started getting a knocking feeling through the floor when driving over bumps in the road , even small ones , there is no knocking sound but you can can feel it through the floor. The steering also seems to wobble abit when driving in a straight line , even pulls to the sides for a split second , it feels even worse when your braking while turning the wheel , it seems to be worse when your going pretty slow when slowing down at junctions etc.... if you leave go of the wheel it moves itself.

Anyone have any ideas where to start before i take it to the dealers?

Could be a droplink has come loose, knackered control arm or the top mounts are moving.

Obvious question, but are all your wheel nuts up tight?

Aye i checked the wheel nuts yesterday and they were tight , my mate at work reckons it could be the ball joints , i hope it isnt as i dont fancy replacing the full arm. The weird thing is , there isnt any knocking or clunking sounds , you can just feel it underneath your feet when your driving , my old car when something was wrong you always got a knocking sound but ive only had this 6 months and havent really had any bother with it other than needing a new brake caliper.

Im gonna replace the drop links 1st as they are the cheapest lol and if its not them atleast ill have new drop links anyway.

Just a bit of an update on this , been working away so havent had the chance to do anything yet but the knocking seems to go away if i over inflate my tyres to say 38-39psi , if i take them back down to 35 it comes back. Do you reckon it could be just a problem with the tyres , im only home for a couple of days till i go away again , but im back for a fortnight after next week so ill try get it sorted then.

I had a clicking coming from underneath and I undone the sub-frame bolts and cleaned the plates and greased them back up and the clicking has stopped...try that before you go spending :)

Back