• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Stick with springs or go for coilovers?

Hi guys. I recently purchased some d2 coilovers ready to go on my car. Now, the question i have is shalli keep the spoon springs i have on the car already and change the shocks over OR change the whole lot over for the d2's? Cheers

The spoon springs wont fit on the D2 coilovers

IMHO, keep the spoon springs on with the OEM Dampers

Handling mainly. Dont get me wrong, i do like the springs but they're just not for me hence the coilovers.

Handling mainly. Dont get me wrong, i do like the springs but they're just not for me hence the coilovers.

Coilovers are better for both looks and handling. Just depends on how extreme you want to take it. Springs and a FRSU is a good compromise - Spoon Springs are probably the best springs available.

If you have coilovers and camber components; that will trump a set of springs - it will come at a price which is comfort though.

Coilovers properly set-up is the best option for handling.

Springs are the best compromise - at the limit they may prove too soft but they'll be more than adequate for daily driver hooning; all depends on how far you want to go with the handling - they'll offer a more comfortable ride though. :)

I think I just repeated myself lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the springs are good and if i werent that bothered, i would keep them on and continue like normal. But, given what has been done and what i still plan to do with the car, the coileys are my best bet. Will keep the springs to one side when the changeover is done so if I do change my mind, i can always swap them over again :)

Good luck, they will be hard but properly set up they are unrivalled as far as suspension set-ups go. Get a LSD and a few braces and you'll have a very agile car.

My car (on coilovers) as a DD would be a pain, which is why I'm fortunate it isn't a DD - on a blast however, it's delightful. I have some extreme settings though.

Got an LSD fitted already and a spoon brace is gonna go on when the coileys go on. The car was owned by a (possibly former) member on here and he has done some excellent mods on it. Check out my thread in the newbie section, there is a link within that that shows the specs of the car. The only think i have changed are the wheels and soon the coileys.

Yar, cheap crap that will break/rust/seize/leak after a year.

Stick with springs. Your car will handle better with Spoon springs anyway. My DC5 was miles better on Eibach's than it was on D2 coilovers.

I've heard mixed reviews of the D2's - there's no denying that they're cheap - but I know of a few hard track cars that have used them without issues.

SoundS like you have some very good parts on your car; I'll check it out.

:)

Edit: if it still has that bonnet and those morrettes, I'm not a fan of those - otherwise nice and tidy. Should get a members car thread up :)

Yeah, it still has the bonnet and morrettes. I'm not usually a fan of the morrettes either but for some reason, they suit the car. As mentioned, apart from the wheels, everything is exactly how it is. Will definately get members car thread up soon :)

Back