• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sticking rear caliper, FN2

Neily03

Professional Hippy
I know there's a known issue with these but can anyone fill me in on it?

I've got an intermittent sticking on the drivers side rear. Noticed the other week the paint on the caliper looked burnt so have been keeping an eye on it and it's been no warmer that the other so seemed fine. Just been out for a quick blast for petrol and noticed a screeching from the rear on the motorway (kind of like the wear indicators but the pads are only about 15k old and have loads of meat on them) Got home and that caliper and disc are red hot, hotter than the fronts, even the wheel is hot!! :eek:

I'm thinking the sliders are sticking and a quick clean and grease will sort them out??

Sorted this today, removed the caliper leaving the pads in the carrier on the hub and the disc was still very hard to turn. Turns out there was a build up of rust on the carrier and pads jamming them in place, hard up against the disc ( I had to use a big screw driver and a mallet to get them out). Cleaned up the rust with a file, applied a little grease and it's right as rain. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorted this today, removed the caliper leaving the pads in the carrier on the hub and the disc was still very hard to turn. Turns out there was a build up of rust on the carrier and pads jamming them in place, hard up against the disc ( I had to use a big screw driver and a mallet to get them out). Cleaned up the rust with a file, applied a little grease and it's right as rain. :D

Good news bud!

Cheap (free) fix there! :smt023

Cool man, good stuff, DIY FTW.

Where's the write up and pics though ??

also the issue with this is the piston bit that the claipper bolts to, the two with the rubber sleeve, if you pull them off and re lube as mine were really dry and covered in dust and rust, since doing that they have had no issue

Is yours out of warranty then Neil?

Yes, ran out in March.

also the issue with this is the piston bit that the claipper bolts to, the two with the rubber sleeve, if you pull them off and re lube as mine were really dry and covered in dust and rust, since doing that they have had no issue

The bits you're talking about are called sliders, I checked them and they were like new, nothing but clean grease inside and moving nice and smooth. :D

Back