• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Stiff getting into gear EP3

Hi,

The gears on my EP3 are stiff to get into gears, sometimes they slide in fine but then other times they are stiff as out to get in to gear.

Posssible oil in the box needs redoing? Also it's running an exedy clutch so I wouldn't think it was fit, the car isn't running "big power" or anything?

what do people think?

cheers Dom

How many miles has it done on the clutch and is it the chocolate Euro version or the beefier US version?

Usually stiff going into gear is the clutch, aye. The pressure plate gets weak and the clutch doesn't fully disengage meaning the gearbox is still spinning when you are trying to swap cogs.

Your gearbox oil will have been changed with the clutch, so it won't be that.

It could be your clutch fluid is old and needs replacing, it would have a similar effect and is cheaper and quicker to replace than the clutch, worth a try first.

Cheers pal, was on the phone to Grinspeed and they said the same thing.

So getting a new clutch fitted by them next week, the cars still under warranty so Ive got lucky and the dealer has said I can get it done at Grinspeed.

Winner Winner, now just lets hope it solves it, he said if it was clutch fluid it still would be able to slide in smoothly.

Do you know if it was a full clutch kit that was replaced or just the friction disc?

I would try the cheapest things first, change the clutch fluid see if that improves it, maybe change the gearbox oil again, just to be sure, if these don't cure it then look into the clutch.

I am facing a similar ish issue, bought my ep3 last week and it was going into gear fine and smoothly. Last night, a few times (not always) at low RPM's with normal driving i heard very slight crunching. I read it is common and may have been due to shifting quickly or not having held the clutch down long enough but have been paranoid after hearing so much about the second gear issues etc. However, my clutch had been changed by previous owner in August so unsure what it is. Does this happen with you? Anyone know if this is common and nothing to worry. Let me know how yours goes after replacing the clutch bud.

The bite point is right at the bottom of the pedal and sometimes with the clutch pedal right down its still bitting slightly so it's the tell tale sign of a tired clutch.

Plus us piece of mind I know it will be right once Grinspeed have sorted it.

I will do ad, sounds similar to what mine is like, the big thing is does it still change when your in vtec? Cause mine only gets into gear every like 1 in 3 times when in vtec.

Back