• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Still having problems.

Recently replaced my discs and pads all around after noise coming from rear ns. Afterwards was still getting the issue, rebuilt the slider assembly this evening with new pins and bellows however:
Not only is the wheel still not running free but the noise now seems worse and is either travelling through the axel or is now coming from the os worse than the ns!!

When I rebuilt the slider today I noticed the pad isn't wearing evenly, disc looks the same.
ee8d78a0fc97f200a0be48fd9dde6f03.jpg

I'm at a total loss and can't afford to throw much more cash at this problem, please help!!

I'm thinking an issue with the handbrake maybe? But I'm clutching at straws here.

What noise is it mate? Im guessing your getting some sort of binding to cause that on your pads. To do that looks like it would be stuck on!

It gets louder as the discs heat up, is a grinding noise which pulses (making more contact on a certain part of the disc), when I brake lightly it makes a loud squeak breifly. It got worse when turning right before and better when left, since doing the slide it now seems to be the opposite way around with that squeak, grinding still ns.

I believe so only had he car 4 months. However the calipers are free and moving and rewind ok.

Update: at my wits end I had a mate that's a mechanic look at it today. He says that the calipers are fine and everything looks ok it's just bedding in issues. Not sure how sold I am on this but I guess I will find out if the issues disappear in the next week or two.
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. May be back bumping this thread soon, I really hope not!!

There's 2 different type of pads for the rear calipers. Incorrect ones cause the pad to wear unevenly.

Can you expand on that any? That's the first time I've heard that, are you referring to the pad having the guide nub on the back of it or not?

I use to get this problem alot with my ep3.was always the pistons. You can get a refurb kit with new pistons if thats what it turns out to be. Think its 20quid a piston.

Not 100% sure what the difference is. All I know is that when I stuck yellow stuff pads in the rear it came with some info about the dimples on the back of the pad plate and how they should be fitted and that there's 2 types.

I use to get this problem alot with my ep3.was always the pistons. You can get a refurb kit with new pistons if thats what it turns out to be. Think its 20quid a piston.
You can get a complete refurbished caliper for £70 odd on an exchange basis. Often works out better than getting a refurb kit and doing it yourself.

Yea I'm aware of the guide nub, my pads have them and it is fitted correctly so slots into the cross groove on the caliper piston.

I've now solved my problem: I rebuilt the sliders on one side as they were stiff but the other side seemed free and fine so I didn't bother. I took the sliders on the side I hadn't rebuilt off cleaned them up and degreased. Everything is running sweet again.

If anyone is changing their brakes whether your sliders seem ok or not I strongly advise taking them apart, cleaning and regreasing them with silicone grease. This problem has driven me up the wall for two weeks and I very nearly replaced my calipers because of it.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

Back