• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Still leaking oil after rocker gasket change

Hi all,

I'm still getting a leak of oil (fresh oil) from the car despite just changing the rocker gasket for a genuine Honda one.
I made sure it was the gasket was well seated into the rocker cover groove (after that was cleaned too).
I cleaned the engine perimeter before fitting and evenly tightened each of the bolts.
I believe it's leaking from the back corner next to the air box area as there is a black hose there which seems to have oil residue (fresh oil) on it and where it's reaching the bottom of the engine it's coming down that side.
No leak from the front of the engine or sump so it has to be that corner.
I didn't use gasket sealant as Cox Motor Parts advised I wouldn't need to.

The oil leak isn't major of course and the engine is running lovely.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Bit of an update.
After getting under the car with an inspection lamp I noticed oil was across the lower part of the engine. However, all the muck was on the side as mentioned above.
I don't think the gasket I have replaced is now leaking although originally it had been.
However, what I have noticed is that there is a metal pipe that runs between the top of the engine and the airbox. Towards the back of the pipe there is a spongy rubber hose which is clamped onto it. I am wondering if this is an oil fee/return pipe or something? It's only held onto the metal pipe with a spring clamp and seems to be seeping oil.
The seeping oil is dripping down the pipe, onto the driveshaft and from the driveshaft it's getting flicked around making things look worse than they are.

I have attached a picture of the pipe that seems to be seeping oil. I'm not sure how far onto the metal pipe the spongy/rubber hose should be but I can see the metal spring clamp has been disturbed before.
Just wondered if it's worth wriggling it on a bit further and maybe fitting a jubilee clip on.

Attachments

• P1030645.JPG
    P1030645.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 43
Sorry I can't be much of a help with the actual oil leak as not overly familiar with the lay out round the back of the engine, but I'm sure honda say to use honda bond on the corners of the rocker gasket. I was looking for a guide to replace the timing chain and there was a few pages of the work instructions that had a detailed drawing of where to apply the sealant to the gasket. I'd probably try that first and brake cleaner off any residues you have and then have another look.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Running my ringer around the edge of the cam cover didn't show any signs of a leak.
I could lift the cam cover, apply sealant and re-seat just in case.
I'll try a jubilee clip on that hose tonight to see if this helps, after all it looks like it is coming out of this pipe, dripping down and then getting flicked around by the driveshaft.

Just got to go through the process of elimination.

Merc have had some oil leak problems on new engines and now have an aerosol spray that leaves like a dry chalky residue which makes spotting leaks a doddle. Clean it all off with some brake cleaner and spray the areas with some anti perspiring deodorant. The powder stuff left over should make it really obvious where it's coming from. Hopefully a short drive will get it to temp and a little clue of where the leak is should be left.

Had a clean up and checked under the car and that pipe.
The pipe seems fine. I removed the breather pipe bracket from the side of the engine and cleaned what I could get too.
Nothing dripping onto the driveshaft yet and no oil on the sump.
I took it for a gentle drive up the road and back and so far no leaks.

I am wondering if it was a bit of oil that dripped off the rocker cover when I removed it....although it should have oil on it.
I know some oil dripped off the old gasket when I removed it. Perhaps this is what I am seeing.
Anyway. A regular check is on the cards and I'll keep an eye on the oil level itself.

I have no experience with Honda car rocker covers (only worked a little on Honda bike engines previously) but if the oil spill you found originally was completely fresh oil with no grease or grit in it whatsoever then your suggestion of a drip when you were working on it would make perfect sense.

So far so good. I think it was the oil from the rocker cover change that spilled out and downwards.
Drove into work nice and gentle again this morning and had a check and could not see any oil drips.
Fingers crossed.

Well, it is still leaking.
The black pipe in the picture above is not the cause as this is a coolant pipe which I found out today.
However, after an inspection on a ramp today (while getting 4 wheel alignment done) it looked as though it was coming from the pipe/hose that comes out the back of the engine.
If you are in front of the car and look at the back of the engine it's on the right hand side right near the edge and just located underneath the rocker cover. A hose is clamped on with a spring clamp to the metal pipe coming out of the engine.
It's about 1" in diameter. I would imagine it is oil related judging by the fact it come out the back of the engine.

Maybe there is a slight split in the hose.
I was concerned it might be the head gasket but my oil level, coolant are fine, no white smoke, pulls well in all gears and is super smooth so surely it can't be that.

Have you got a picture of it? I can't picture it off the top of my head, or find a good picture on google, but I think that one might be the water heater pipe...

(and it's pitch black and I don't fancy sticking my head in an engine bay :p)

Well, it is still leaking.
The black pipe in the picture above is not the cause as this is a coolant pipe which I found out today.
However, after an inspection on a ramp today (while getting 4 wheel alignment done) it looked as though it was coming from the pipe/hose that comes out the back of the engine.
If you are in front of the car and look at the back of the engine it's on the right hand side right near the edge and just located underneath the rocker cover. A hose is clamped on with a spring clamp to the metal pipe coming out of the engine.
It's about 1" in diameter. I would imagine it is oil related judging by the fact it come out the back of the engine.

Maybe there is a slight split in the hose.
I was concerned it might be the head gasket but my oil level, coolant are fine, no white smoke, pulls well in all gears and is super smooth so surely it can't be that.

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/hon...1&block_02=E__1511&block_03=9815&block_05=hcr

Do you think it's leaking from part number 5

It's not any hose from the diagram in your link.
http://www.lingshonda.co/honda_car_...ock_01=17S5S01&block_02=E__1501&block_03=9725

It looks like it's another coolant part as it's item 12.
The hose joins onto the back of item 12 with a spring clamp. Must form part of the engine coolant jacket.

I'm thinking that it's either coolant leaking (but the radiator is correctly filled) and mixing with dirt or it's oil leaking from a place higher up.
It does look like oil though as it doesn't drip like water would.

However, if leaking from higher up there can only be two places.
The cam cover. Already checked and no leaks.
Any of the sensors on the side of the engine, eg cam sensors.
Are there any other sensors besides the cam sensors on the side of the engine?

Yesterday, we removed the flywheel cover to check it wasn't the main seal between engine and gearbox and that was fine.

I did remove the cam sensors, cleaned the outside only (not the actual sensor) and refit them. I nipped them up a tad tighter than they were (they weren't done up tight).

Are there any solenoid, sensor places I can check for leaks that are common leaking points?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not any hose from the diagram in your link.
http://www.lingshonda.co/honda_car_...ock_01=17S5S01&block_02=E__1501&block_03=9725

It looks like it's another coolant part as it's item 12.
The hose joins onto the back of item 12 with a spring clamp. Must form part of the engine coolant jacket.

I'm thinking that it's either coolant leaking (but the radiator is correctly filled) and mixing with dirt or it's oil leaking from a place higher up.
It does look like oil though as it doesn't drip like water would.

However, if leaking from higher up there can only be two places.
The cam cover. Already checked and no leaks.
Any of the sensors on the side of the engine, eg cam sensors.
Are there any other sensors besides the cam sensors on the side of the engine?

Yesterday, we removed the flywheel cover to check it wasn't the main seal between engine and gearbox and that was fine.

I did remove the cam sensors, cleaned the outside only (not the actual sensor) and refit them. I nipped them up a tad tighter than they were (they weren't done up tight).

Are there any solenoid, sensor places I can check for leaks that are common leaking points?

Vtec solenoid gasket or oil pressure switch

It's not the vtec solenoid as that's the other side of the engine and I've got no leaks there and vtec is working fine.
Oil pressure switch is also on the other side above the oil filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after another check last night I found the problem to be the rocker cover gasket after all. It was leaking and leaning on the engine to access the rear coolant pipe the other day didn't help even though I'm feather light....lol
Anyway, I removed the cover again, cleaned up, and this time I fitted some gasket sealant all along the back edge, bead spots on the semi-circle part by the air box and on the front corner edge where the timing chain is.
Fingers crossed.
At least it's nothing serious that was leaking.

Happy days. Glad you found it bud. Keep an eye on it but I'm sure it will be fine, that's the method the work instructions recommended so should be good.

I would have banged half a tube of high temp liquid gasket around the whole rocker cover seal :p

Glad you found out the problem, weight off your chest I'm sure!

Cheers.
I'll keep an eye on it for sure.
It was useful in a way too as now I can locate areas of the car and engine and know what they are. A good learning curve.

Got my NGK's coming in the post so that's the next job. Got the correct 16mm plug tool ready to use too.

Next job is the buy and have fitted the adjustable front camber bolts.
Touch up the centre caps with paint.
PDR the bodywork.
Money, money.....money...lol

Back