• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Still leaking oil after rocker gasket change

Got my NGK's coming in the post so that's the next job. Got the correct 16mm plug tool ready to use too.

You don't mean one of the laser (or other brand) t shapes handle things with bright colours? If your plugs have seized or are up too tight you'll have great fun!!

NGK Iridium's from Jap Service Parts in Harlow.
Already removed one plug to see that Denso plugs are currently fitted.
They are just due a change anyway.
Never had seized plugs on any car of the 33 cars I have owned.

Think he means the plug removal tool. You can get funny cheapo ones with a t bar. I use a 3/8 one with a built in uj, makes it easy!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Think he means the plug removal tool. You can get funny cheapo ones with a t bar. I use a 3/8 one with a built in uj, makes it easy!

I just use an extension bar and my 1/2" drive.
5 mins and its sorted.
Bought a new funnel ant tube for the forthcoming coolant change too.

Well, I still have a leak.
It's minimal but its running down the side of the gearbox and you can see it at the bottom most part of the gearbox housing just starting to form a drip.
I've wiped up the side of the gearbox to help see. I have noticed there is a little hole between the driveshaft/gearbox and engine and it looks jagged from the angle I can see but it isn't possible to tell if it's leaking from there.
Already had the flywheel cover off and have been told that the leak is not the main seal between engine and gearbox.

I know a picture might help but it still doesn't help to say where it's leaking from.
Does anyone know if gearbox oil is a clean colour or dirty colour. I just wondered if it was the driveshaft seal.
Hmm.

Gearbox oil will be clean. More of a golden colour and with a distinctive smell. Fire some pics over. How many miles have you done for it to be leaking again? That will help narrow it down if it's a big or small leak.

Might be worth a thorough clean up with brake cleaner and some anti perspiring deodorant to help trace it quickly. It worked a treat on a truck with a porous block (that was special spray though, but it will do the same job) so should help in this case.

Thanks.
I need to find out if the hole I'm looking at is meant to be there.
I'll try and get a pic later.
The rocker gasket did need doing again though so now it's been done it's not leaking onto the vtec solenoid or oil pressure switch.

Having recently removed the coolant pipes by the air box to rule them out means I know what water drips look like compared to oil drips.
Do the cam sensors use little O-rings? Perhaps of or both of them are perished.

It's weird this leak.
After starting it up and driving it following the rocker gasket reseating I could not see any leaks at all.
I come back from Devon after a few days (car parked in the garage while I was away) to find the leak there. So it's something taking it's time to leak.
I would have though that the jagged looking hole would chuck loads of oil out if it wasn't a hole that wasn't meant to be there.
Would talc powder work? Can't see it doing harm to the car.

Found it. It's still the rocker cover gasket so I'm going to nip up the bolts again.
It's because it's clean oil coming out of the gasket and by the time it gets to the bottom of the engine it's more dirty.
If this fails I'll just buy another gasket as at least they are cheap enough.
Fitted the spark plugs too. Smoother.
Getting there.

Did you use a torque wrench or by hand?

I'd just bite the bullet at this point and get the new gasket and use plenty of VHT liquid gasket.

Well it is still leaking. I've ordered a new gasket from Honda today. I've got my torque wrench on order already just in case. I can't believe that Honda want over £30 for a tube of gasket sealant so I said there is no way I'm spending that much on their sealant.
The stuff I have is decent enough.
Hopefully this new gasket should do the trick. I'm not losing hardly any oil at all and I saw it was leaking from the rocker so I know it's that.
Never mind. It's all good fun and experience. I'll be going for world records on rocker cover gasket changes at this rate....

Back