• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Stone Chips

The FN2 has always been bad for stone chips. My bonnet and front bumper is full of the little nicks to the paint:rolleyes:.

But in the last month I've found 5 very large chips, on the door, wing, bonnet, roof and even the rear spoiler:eek:

I know I'm picky, but its really pi**ing me off:evil:. I guess I'm going to have to dry and fill them, but its still going to look crap.
I have always tried to look after my car, and have generally felt proud when it comes trade in time, becuase my car will one of the best on their forecourt. Hopefully allowing me to get top dollar for it as well.

Any rant over and a few pics of the problem

The sort of normal chips I have come to expect.
P10007541024x768.jpg

The worst one on the wing
P10007481024x768.jpg

Large one on the bonnet,
P10007491024x768.jpg

Some one close up
P10007501024x768.jpg

Even on the side of the rear spoiler
P10007531024x768.jpg

The front of my EP3 has some stone chips, but none that big. Seems that FN2 paint is very thin/fragile. I can understand your frustration.

i have a milano civic as my works car. diesel though. and its exectly the same it had stonechips on it within 35 miles of driving it home from work, got a mark on the bumper that looks like it was done even before it left the factory looks like a paint defect. put me off having a milano again. ive had preety much every civic colour and this is the worst one for stonechiips

:(:(:(

I'm surprised they are that bad tbh Paul.
Might be worth approaching Honda & see what they say???

If not some wet sanding & touch up paint with some machine polishing afterwards would fix it. Then maybe consider some protective film to save it happening again.

Been reading up on this at Civinfo.

Lots of people complaining about paint in general. Even with independent paint reports proving the paint is thin, HUK have not admitted to or resolved any ones problems.

I may mention it to the dealer and get them to measure the paint, but I think I will come up against a brick wall quite quickly.

Honda's paint is not only thin but very soft. And looking at the way the paint has come clean off the primer, its probably badly painted as well. :evil:

The one on the bonnet/body may rust mate, so I'd get those sorted ASAP. With the milano red being a solid colour only paint (iirc) you can probably get away with a little touch up then flat and polish. But make sure you put down some zinc primer first.

But the best solution is always to get it resprayed.

If not some wet sanding & touch up paint with some machine polishing afterwards would fix it. Then maybe consider some protective film to save it happening again.
This would be my recomendation also, however I have little confidence in Hondas abilities to provide decent touch up sticks as the one I bought for my NHB EP3 came out blue :eek: .

This would be my recomendation also, however I have little confidence in Hondas abilities to provide decent touch up sticks as the one I bought for my NHB EP3 came out blue :eek: .

Well I've added 2 layers of touch up paint to the larger chips. It has masked it quite well, but it still needs a few more layers until it is raised above the rest of the paintwork so I can polish it flush.

As Milano is a flat colour the paint match should be easier, rather than a metallic colour like NHB.

Well I've added 2 layers of touch up paint to the larger chips. It has masked it quite well, but it still needs a few more layers until it is raised above the rest of the paintwork so I can polish it flush.

As Milano is a flat colour the paint match should be easier, rather than a metallic colour like NHB.
I think that was the problem with the NHB, too much flake and not enough paint.

I know how careful you are with your car Paul, so your slow and steady repair approach will no doubt pay dividend in the end.

Actually red is one of the more difficult colours to match. Especially a colour-only red. I've repaired a few milano's before and it is not the easiest colour to match imo. But for small chips like this colour match doesn't need to be spot on, just make sure it is the same level as the rest of the paint and smooooooth! ;)

NHB isn't actually metallic, its pearlescent which I find is easier than metallic to do as you don't need to worry about the texture of the flakes as much.

...... just make sure it is the same level as the rest of the paint and smooooooth! ;)

3 Layers and its getting close.

Another layer should do it. The Honda touch up doesn't come with lacquer, so I might get some from halfords for the final layer.

3 Layers and its getting close.

Another layer should do it. The Honda touch up doesn't come with lacquer, so I might get some from halfords for the final layer.

I thought the milano red was colour only? If so, theres no lacquer! Just build it up the paint in thin layers and give it a week or more to completely harden before rubbing it down with very fine P1200 or above wet and dry and then apply rubbing compound and polish.

I thought the milano red was colour only? If so, theres no lacquer! Just build it up the paint in thin layers and give it a week or more to completely harden before rubbing it down with very fine P1200 or above wet and dry and then apply rubbing compound and polish.

I thought the lacquer would act like the clear coat which the Milano does have IIRC.

Not sure if I have the ball to use wet and dry:?
So i was going to try with a little bit of brasso, then finish off with Autoglym SRP.

I thought the lacquer would act like the clear coat which the Milano does have IIRC.

Not sure if I have the ball to use wet and dry:?
So i was going to try with a little bit of brasso, then finish off with Autoglym SRP.

If I remember correctly the milano red doesn't have a clear coat. Just the colour. But that was on an EP3 milano not the FN2. Don't put clear on unless you are 110% sure it has clear otherwise it could mess it up.

The easiest way to see if your paint is colour only or is clear on base is to rub some rubbing compound against on the paint in a discrete area with a white cloth. If the colour comes off on the cloth then it doesn't have a clear coat.

HTHs :)

If I remember correctly the milano red doesn't have a clear coat. Just the colour. But that was on an EP3 milano not the FN2. Don't put clear on unless you are 110% sure it has clear otherwise it could mess it up.

The easiest way to see if your paint is colour only or is clear on base is to rub some rubbing compound against on the paint in a discrete area with a white cloth. If the colour comes off on the cloth then it doesn't have a clear coat.

It will definately have a lacquered finish on it,there are very few cars which are now painted in solid colour only,the majority of them being commerical.And in most of the paintshops now waterbourne paint system's are now being used to comply with eu laws.

Back