• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange black dirt above exhaust

As per title, after going out this evening, walking back to my car I noticed what looked like black dust or dirt above the exhaust on the bumper (and only in this area)

Just wanted to ask some advice as to what it is, wether this is someting I should worry about or if anyone else has experienced a simular thing.

I know it is probally nothing but just never experienced this before.

All levels are regulary checked and where they should be.

Cheers

just be oil probably, how often do you wash it? mine gets that abit too if its getting a thrash about keep a check on your oil level doubt it'l be serious bud

Dirt accumulates from the vortex that is created behind the exhaust box but only in the exhaust recess part on the lower part of the bumper. if the black dust or soot looks as if it's rising up from the exhaust tips and creating a large black patch and wispy black marks then there may be a problem.
I think soot is caused by a large de-cat pipe, running rich or excessive oil burn but I may be quoted wrong. just keep an eye on it mate and if it persists then seek medical advice.
Is the CTR running good, any misfiring?

Cheers chaps for the reply's, car is running fine no misfires or anythin, I will keep an eye on it and check levels again.

I would advise a friend to rev the engine whilst you check for black soot. asap.

I would advise a friend to rev the engine whilst you check for black soot. asap.

Ok bud, me and the other half are popping out later so i'll get her to sit in and give it a rev.
The only thing I can think that I have changed recently is my top up oil, im still using 0-30 (which is what has always been in car) but its a oil from Honda, would this have any effect??

OEM recommendation
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 0W-20
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 0W-30
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 0W-40
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 5W-30
Year-round API: SJ-EC SAE 5W-40

no as long as your within the range 0w-20 to 5w-40 depending what temperature country you're in. I use 5w-30 as it's widely available.

Ok I just thought may have been the change in oil brand but havent changed the thickness.

As I said earlier I will get the other half to rev it later and i'll have a look, will keep you posted.
Cheers!

Well just been out and got the other half to give the old girl a GOOD rev, and....... Nothing!
Exhuast clear as anything, so not sure what it was. I will clean off soot from bumper and keep an eye on it.

Well just been out and got the other half to give the old girl a GOOD rev, and....... Nothing!
Exhuast clear as anything, so not sure what it was. I will clean off soot from bumper and keep an eye on it.

I agree.

Back