• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange cables

Hi Guys,

Have a Type R FN2 2009

In the process of trying to find out why the rear parking sensors wasn't working (the parking sensor computer is not there lol) I found a few intresting things.

There was a cable down near the bottom of the drivers seat belt (6 pin I think behind the trim) thats not plugged into anything and has a resistor jumping two pins :confused:

Then I look in the boot where the parking sensor computer used to live and I find another cable (2 pin) with another resistor and saletape round it, this can't be right!

Does anyone know where/what these cables are?

Thanks
Dave

Could be anything, they don't sound like OEM connectors. Any pics?

This one is by the drivers seat belt:

IMG_1762.jpg

And this one is in the boot where the parking sensors computer should be:

IMG_1763.jpg

First one looks to be the seatbelt sensor that allows the car to be driven without a seatbelt for whatever reason, such as aftermarket harnesses etc.

Looks like srs bypass wires with a 2ohm resistor/diode mayb get the srs system code read

The yellow connectors are _almost_ always SRS hardware. I'd look at the parts catalogue to try and find what they most closely resemble. I'd be worried if I found some of my SRS hardware had been bodged.

I know it's not he best imagery, but:

http://lingshondaparts.com/honda_ca...&block_02=B__1341&block_03=10033&block_05=hcr

Was the car an insurance category purchase (Cat D or similar)?

If so, those could be a side-impact sensor connector or maybe something to do with the pillar air-bag as a cheap way to avoid refitting it. Not sure about the boot one as I haven't read enough yet.

If you were brave enough you could disconnect the battery, pull the resistor from one of the connectors and reconnect the battery, I expect the SRS lamp would light on the dash when you turn the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I didn't say earlier, and probably should have led with, sorry: DO NOT, for the love of all that's sacred to you, mess with SRS when the battery is connected. This is a system designed from the ground up to react _literally_ explosively, in fractions of a millisecond. If you make a mistake it could have dire consequences, esp. if you're not exactly where those explosive charges are built to surround.

If you're still willing to go forward after this warning then also be aware that tripping the SRS light means that the system may then no longer function even partially, and the light will remain lit, causing an MOT failure. Also be aware that the state it's currently in _should_ be a failure, I'm not sure what the law says about this aspect.

Thanks for the advice, I had some suspensions it was for the SRS system. The car has not been written off so i'm guessing maybe it had an accident that hasn't been recorded and bodged back together.

Will get the car booked into a garage.

Back