• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange HID problem - knowledge required!

Hola,

So I originally bought some dipped beam (H7R) HIDS for my FN2, along with some matching 501 LED sidelights, all hunky dorey.

Then, being as anal as I am, I got freakishly annoyed at how main beam looked yellower than a Victorian bedroom lamp next to my bright shiny dipped beams. So I ordered a H1 HID kit.

Now aesthetically, I am happy, however, the light produced doesn't really help me see one bit at night, as it's kinda scattered ALL OVER. H1R doesn't appear to be a fitment that exists, so what does everyone else do?

Probably not an issue for lots of folks, but I live in the sticks and there's a lot of unlit fast roads around that I can't go very fast on atm, as I can't see well enough.

P.S. I should add that the dipped beam functions perfectly - it's only high beam that doesn't produce a useable light pattern.

Any useful advice gladly received.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I used bright "white" normal H1 bulbs.

No point with HIDs on the main beam in my opinion, as by the time they'd warmed up I'd be turning them off again.

I considered that, but wasn't happy with the difference in light quality. I do use them for longer periods at a time you see, and once they're warm its ok to flick them off for a car coming the other way, they are still good to go few seconds later, as can be seen on mine - it's just that they are illuminating the trees and the sky as much as any part of the road!

I'd rather not see as well than have mismatched headlights, yes my OCD is that bad!

That's it though, they aren't letting you see well.

It might take a few goes but I quite easily managed to match the colour of standard main beam bulbs to the HID dipped lights. I guess it depends on what colour you got for your dipped lights.

Try the Phillips bluevision h1 bulb they were pretty close to my 6000k hids. not as blue but still looked good and could see lol

Back