• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Strange metallic 'clunking'...

I am getting a metallic 'clunk' or 'clank' from what I think is the Offside front wheel. It seems fine over larger or deeper bumps/holes but when I get onto the crappy bumpy tarmac it becomes very apparent.
It also seems to be sitting about half an inch lower on that side compared to the Nearside. Wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out for when I come to checking it out.
Nothing is taken away from the ride itself, doesn't pull off or vibrate... just that noise.

Have you checked for anything loose, could be a top mount or a cracked spring or something full lock the wheel so you can see inside for anything noticably different as well

Well I whipped the wheel off and had a good look but everything looks fine. All the rubbers and joints look okay, nothing has any play and the spring looks intact... its a strange one!

I think if the top mount has gone you wouldn't really no until to take it off the Car ( release it from pressure and inspect ).
have you renewed any links or bushes lately ?? Check the bolts for movement.
just a thought :/

I have seen a few gone and you can see the movement when you rock the wheel.
Had a good look over it before and there are only 2 things I can see, one is the track rod end has a minimal amount of vertical movement compared to the passenger side.. so I have ordered 2 new ones to see.
Also my brake discs have at some point (before my ownership) had the retaining screws snapped in the hub and therefore it is not held by anything but the pads/caliper and the wheel when on, I think both sides have this problem but I only hear the noise from the Offside. Quite a few vehicles have the set up of the disc being held firm by the tightness of the wheel rather than little grub screws so I figured it wouldn't be an issue. As I was driving I got it to a road it was making the noise and applied pressure to the brakes, seemed to stop the noise. Also if I quickly snatch at the brakes it does make a 'clunk', no matter on the speed and every time I quickly tap the pedal.
Seems to me it could be down to the lacking screws, but I am unsure if it is just causing the real issue to react each time I brake etc..

Thanks for the input guys!

Back