• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange noise and mechanics can't find anything

Got a rather odd noise coming from the car (CTR '05 plate) no matter what gear you're in and possibly just as and when it wants to make this noise. Although today we kind of thought it was just doing it on acceleration. It's an odd tinny type noise. I've taken it to my local garage where someone came out for a test drive and had it up on the ramps giving it a proper look over underneath and in the engine bay but they couldn't find a thing wrong. It's bugging me to death because you only really hear it when the windows down. Wish I could tape the noise but it's difficult! Seeing as I'm the driver I feel I can only here it from my side.
I know it's not much to go on but just wondering what I should be looking for when there's an odd noise and mechanics can't find a bloody thing wrong!

Was the car running and been revved up as they looked? take them off see if the noise goes, if not i'm afraid your search continues.

Heat shields and inlet manifold cover are notorious for odd rattles. As above take the things off one at a time and give it a go. Also windows are known to rattle especially when half down.

I too have an odd noise especially when accelerating in a high gear from low revs . Kinda sounds like a dry bearing noise . My last ep3 had the same noise also . Sorry for hijacking your thread maybe it's the same noise

Heat shield is loose on mine now around the CAT/manifold if you can get your arm under lay on the floor and prod the heat shields with something long underneath and see if any are loose if you can jack the car up yourself you should be able to pull a loose one off fairly easily! I'm on my second ep3 and I've found they both have made strange noises when you let go of the accelerator sounds like a quiet scraping noise but I think its normal as both have been low mileage cars and done it

Probably heatshields. Mine never used to make any rattle like noise at 3k but since i got engine mount inserts it started. Knew about the heatshields coming loose but dismissed it as never done it since I've had it. Guess with the extra vibration its worked itself loose? Anyway removed the driveshaft hestshield and noise dissappeared so worth a try at least!

I will have a good look underneath in a week's time when I can get someone to jack it up for me. It's a very tinny sound.. constantly can hear it more and more. There a few heat shields to look for?
It's embarrassing to drive! Got another noise when driving at slow speed.. think that's something loose on exhaust. Got a holiday coming up so gotta wait now. Thanks guys!

I have visually checked everything on mine removed all heatsheilds and ivtec cover and the noise is still there , also replaced mtf oil this weekend and still no change . I have come to the conclusion that the gearbox on these things are noisey especially from the differential as my last low mileage ep3 and two of my buddy's had the same noise

I had a rattle at exactly, I mean exactly and only at 2400rpm, all gears, drove me nuts also.

I have a stainless steel exhaust but the 'U' bolts were not. It had rotted away from the B pipe/back box union and at that exact rpm resonated like a b'stard.

Back