• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

strange noise at 2000 revs

i've started getting a whiny/whispery noise at 2000 rev's, regardless of what gear i'm in. I thought at first it was to with low speed in a high gear but it does it in every gear. I caught the underside of the car on a metal gate plate a couple of days ago, not sure if that's got anything to do with it?

I have no idea what it could be and as a first time poster any ideas/help is much appreciated. Cheers. ;)

oh, the cars a 2005 civic type r.

Could be a heatshield rattle. If you're worried you have hit something underneath ask your local garage to get it on the ramps so you can have a look

Sounds like a drive shaft heat shield. Does it do it in neutral when you hold the revs at 2,000rpm?

Check the i-VTEC cover also as this is common (had it on mine). Get someone to sit in the car stationary and hold the revs at 2-3k, then gently push the cover and see if the noise stops.

Worth ruling out before you start getting a garage involved and potentially taking on costs.

If it sounds metallic, it's probably the heatshield. The bolts holding them on tend to corrode over time causing the problem. Nothing to worry about, more of annoyance than anything else.

like said if hit underneath I would have assumed it to have been a rattly type of noise, are you sure it's whinning as opposed to rattling?

noise is there regardless of what gear its in or in neutral.

local honda garage wanted to take my gearbox apart to find the problem :eek: , took it to another honda garage near work and straight away the guy said 'sounds like the heatsheild to me'. Booked in for monday morning for them to have a look underneath.

noise is there regardless of what gear its in or in neutral.

local honda garage wanted to take my gearbox apart to find the problem :eek: , took it to another honda garage near work and straight away the guy said 'sounds like the heatsheild to me'. Booked in for monday morning for them to have a look underneath.

Did they have a look, i seemed to have aquired this 2k rattle!

all sorted. It was, as expected, the heatshield fixings being a bit loose & knackered. Took it in monday morning, got a call 2 hours later and all was sorted. Cost me £44 but cant grumble seeing as the other honda garage wanted to dismantle my gearbox!!!

I got mine over a pit today and had a look, it was the bottom heatsheild bolt, took it off gave it a clean and grolleyed it back on, no worries now!! Its a 13mm bolt if you need to do it.

Back