• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange noise at 3000rpm

Hi,

Sorry for another strange noise thread! I own a JDM EP3 2004 facelift with 42,000 miles on the clock and at 3000rpm exactly a strange noise occurs both when moving and stationary. It happens with clutch both engaged and disengaged and seems to disappear after a while of driving. It's like a scraping/scrapping noise or maybe a really rapid tinny rattle. I know it's hard to diagnose without hearing just like any other noise but when I tried to capture a video after the drive home from work the noise was not loud enough.

The type of noise originally made me think it was brake related but it can't be because it occurs when stationary. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have the car booked in for clutch and fly wheel change so Im hoping all strange noises will be eliminated.

Thanks CheatsIP5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhaust heat shield might be worth having a look at.

Thanks mate, I had it up on a ramp last week and the heat shields seemed pretty solid but I have read about people tightening them and it not making a difference but once they remove the noise it gone. I might be wrong but it sounds like it's coming from up front.

I had this mate, ended up being the drive shaft heat shield even though from underneath it looked in good condition and I couldn't get it to rattle by hand, once I took it off - rattle disappeared!!

I had this mate, ended up being the drive shaft heat shield even though from underneath it looked in good condition and I couldn't get it to rattle by hand, once I took it off - rattle disappeared!!

Thanks man, I will get it whipped of ASAP and post my findings.

+1 for drive shaft shield,
Mine you could not budge it by hand, but rattled like a t**t.
I just bent one side about 10mm out with pliers near the fixing point and the rattle went.
But came back 5 months later or so.
Best to get shot of it

+1 for drive shaft shield,
Mine you could not budge it by hand, but rattled like a t**t.
I just bent one side about 10mm out with pliers near the fixing point and the rattle went.
But came back 5 months later or so.
Best to get shot of it

Thanks mate, still not had a chance to get it up on a ramp. Having clutch done on Sat so I will get the garage to take it off. Did it get worse at 3000rpm?

There does seem to be a small rattle over bumps at the front end but I think it's relating to another heat shield that's connected to the front ARB. Can live with it though. The driveshaft heat shield made it feel like I was driving my garden shed!

I had to change drop links on front end as they were knocking over small bumps, first two jobs I did heat shield and drop links, sound much more solid

Might look into that then. I think it's all pretty solid though. A lot of creeks and rattles are coming from inside now. I have a suspicion the car was modified before it was shipped to the UK and a lot of it has been stripped leaving loose nuts and bolts in places.

My clutch pedal squeaks like a bitch, now I get a tiny squeak from the steering wheel. Very annoying.
There is minor play in the front shocks so I get a slight rumble over gravel, from everything I read I was sure it was steering rack slider, but nope its the shocks (When I say minor play im talking hardly even 1mm - but enough to make a rattle over uneven ground)

But the sound my old heat shield made was embarrassing, sounded like I was driving a s**tbox

Not sure if any of that reads right but iv had a few drinks so fvck it

Back