• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange Noise From Gearbox or Clutch?? Advice Please

Hi guys

I know this has been asked many times and I have done some reading but various threads have different answers...

So.. I pulled into the drive this evening and noticed a very weird noise coming from the front of the car, hard to describe but it is like a rattling/grinding noise it disappears when I press the clutch but comes straight back once I release, it's only a very subtle noise, not easily picked up on and I think I only noticed as our drive is between two houses so the noise is amplified.

I have recently replaced the gearbox oil and it is silky smooth however the clutch is another story, it has a low-ish bite and I have no proof that it has been changed in the past (I'm now on 63k) but seems to run fine... I do intend to change the clutch at the start of next year when funds allow..

so my question is...what could it be? Roughly how long will it last and the more important question..how much is it to fix?

any input or advice is appreciated :) cheers in advance

Clutch release bearing. It's not worth changing it unless you are changing the clutch. They don't tend to just explode or go, but they do start making a noise.

Low bite is an indication of a worn clutch but if you aren't having problems changing gear, especially at high revs, then it'll be fine.

Cheers for the quick reply Loxy

No major issues when changing at high or low rpm I have had the odd silly mistake of 'false neutral' but I put it down to user error lol will it do any damage long term or will it literally just be a noise that will get progressively louder?

It'll just get louder and more annoying until you change the clutch.

Low bite point indicates the pressure
Plate springs are weak.

High bite is indication of friction plate excessively worn.

Back