• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange noise, gone when warm?

Ok, so new car, new waves of paranoia! :oops:

Have this kind of metallic/rubbing noise (hard to describe really) when pulling away and I think from reading some posts on here that it might be one of the heat shields...

...Only thing is that it is only there when pulling away at low revs, and goes away once the car is warmed up? Oh yeah, and it doesn't do it when I just rev the engine in neutral.

Other thing is that I seem to have this constant high pitched whiney noise - sort of like a supercharger or turbo sound (which I think sounds pretty cool btw) but I need to know this is normal, just assumed that it was noise these tuned engines make?

Appreciate any comment/suggestions!

Thanks!

P.s. First time on some twisty roads last night and my god I have never experienced grip like it!!!

BB :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a ssimilar noise when I first got mine, if it is a metallic squeek type noise (hard to describe) then it could be the same and it was the flywheel. I was told by the master tech it was a common fault with them which seems true and it is starting to do it again on very cold mornings. If the sound is there when dead cold and gone once warmed up then it probably is the same and you need a new flywheel. Did you get any warranty??

Does it sound like Chewbacca?

bdd_Chewbacca.jpg

AWESOME! :mad:

How much for a new flywheel?

Oh, and will bad things happen if I don't change it?

As far as I know nothing bad happens but from what I remeber it will gradually get louder and louder. Flywheels cost between £180 and £400 depending on make etc but not sure on fitting. Mine got done under warranty thankfully and the bill was about £900 I think from Honda

So weird, i've read through what seems like ALL the posts on here and it could basically be anything from heatshields to gearbox bearings to clutch to a trapped Chewbacca in my engine! :lol:

If anyone else has any info it would be good to hear from you!

Just strange that it only does it when cold? :confused:

I can guarantee you that the noise from cold is the flywheel, the rest of the sounds usually stay no matter on heat and are not from pull away. Go to your local Honda garage and ask the master tech and he will probably confirm this for you then you can go from there

Ok, bit of an update on this...haven't had the chance to get it up to Honda or anywhere else yet but the noise is starting to be there more regularly now.

Noticed yesterday when I was stuck in traffic on a slight hill that the noise happens when the clutch is at biting point ( I can pretty much keep it there if I feahter the clutch at biting point) Pretty sure I can feel a vibration through the clutch pedal when it's doing it too?

Neily, I can sort of get what you mean about the Chewbacca sound, it's a kind of metallicy, grinding, moaning rubbing noise which could potentially sound like a wookie I suppose!

Not sure if this could still be my flywheel or something more serious? :confused:

So weird, i've read through what seems like ALL the posts on here and it could basically be anything from heatshields to gearbox bearings to clutch to a trapped Chewbacca in my engine! :lol:

If anyone else has any info it would be good to hear from you!

Just strange that it only does it when cold? :confused:

Probably not the heatshied, mine had this when I got it and the noise stays when the engine is warm, only happened between 2000-3000rpm.

I'd investigate into the Chewbacca, can't be good having one of them caught in the engine! :p

Mine has the whistle that you mentioned too. I like it :)

Mine has the whistle only in 4th & above i had a vibrating sound in my engine bay it was my plastic v-tec cover took it off problem solved :)

So, just been out for a long drive and it's definitely not just when it's cold...it is just at the biting point of the clutch.

Hope this isn't anything serious, I don't think it is, but then I don't actaully know...ARRRRRGGGGGGGHH!

Seriously, I get like this with all my cars, anyone have a cure for 'new car paranoia'? Maybe I should should try some hypnosis or relaxation exercises (not whilst driving of course!) :lol:

That sounds like it's still your flywheel as it happens when under load and the longer it's left the more it'll do it. I would get it confirmed by the garage then either get the fn2 flywheel which doesn't have any problems and is lighter or go for an aftermarket one

Update!

Had clutch replaced and noise when pulling away has gone, clutch is much lighter and easier to use too! :D

He showed me the old one and it was knackered, bits flaking off it, part of the pressure plate had turned a purply bluey colour, presumably where it had gotten so hot?

Anyways, only thing is now that I have a vibration through the clutch pedal that wasn't there before, only when I put the clutch down like 1-2cm and then it goes...misaligned pressure plate maybe? Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Back