• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange noise

Hey guys,
have been lerking on the forum for a while now, but have recently bought a DC5.

is a great car and goes very well, however there is just something that has been bothering me.

When I'm driving, if the revs are below 2k rpm, there is a strange noise coming from the front. seems to sound like its coming from the gear box but i'm not sure.

its had a full service done prior to me getting the car and I got my own mechanic to change the gearbox oil today (I read on itr-dc5 that the gearbox oil should be changed regularly so better safe than sorry)

my question is, what could this mysterious noise be? it sounds a bit like grindy but like, gears select fine and i've no problems engaging any gear. it goes away over 2,000 rpm like. any ideas?

I've searched on here and there seems to be an opinion that it could be the heatsheilds, but they mentioned the rattle in neutral, When I rev in neutral, I dont hear the rattle.

any ideas?

Thanks for the reply Nick, would it be an easy job to remove it myself? Also, would there be any problems with leaving the heatshield off?

If you have the tools aye it's an easy job, you'll have to jack the car up and use axle stands.

No problems that i've heard of with removing the heatshield, CTR owners have been doing it for years.

This is the droid you are looking for

heat_shield.jpg

you will need,

around 45 minutes of free time,
a 12mm spanner (a flex head ratchet spanner will save loads of time)
a jack,
axle stands,
a hammer,
piece of wood or similar to chock rear wheels (civic handbrakes are rubbish remember)

do this,

park car on level surface,
apply handbrake,
chock rear wheels,
jack up car,
support with axle stands,
lay under car on your back with your feet sticking out under the front bumper,
locate the oil filter/right-hand side driveshaft,
between the oil filter and the driveshaft there is a thin black curved piece of metal held in place by three bolts... undo these three bolts,
(note that two of the bolts are easy to find, one is hiding under the oil filter)
take the heatshield off the car

Hi Nick, thanks very much for the guide, my mechanic removed this today, but the noise is still there :( as i said, it only happens when the car is under 2k revs, car pulls strong and have had no problems with gearbox or anything with the car at all.

any other ideas? is it normal and i'm just driving too much like a granny?

thanks for the help lads, but i think at this stage, its more down to my driving style than the car, i think i'm just holding the car at too high a gear for the car, being in a lower gear means higher up in the revs and no noise. but i'll get my mechanic to look over the rest of the heatsheilds and the ivtec cover.

You are running it on the highest RON you can?

Just thought it would be worth mentioning incase it's a bit of pinking going on at low revs/too high of a gear.

Hey guys,
have been lerking on the forum for a while now, but have recently bought a DC5.

is a great car and goes very well, however there is just something that has been bothering me.

When I'm driving, if the revs are below 2k rpm, there is a strange noise coming from the front. seems to sound like its coming from the gear box but i'm not sure.

its had a full service done prior to me getting the car and I got my own mechanic to change the gearbox oil today (I read on itr-dc5 that the gearbox oil should be changed regularly so better safe than sorry)

my question is, what could this mysterious noise be? it sounds a bit like grindy but like, gears select fine and i've no problems engaging any gear. it goes away over 2,000 rpm like. any ideas?

I've searched on here and there seems to be an opinion that it could be the heatsheilds, but they mentioned the rattle in neutral, When I rev in neutral, I dont hear the rattle.

any ideas?

These are the symptoms im getting on my Ep3, only happends under 2k.

You ever get it sorter mate??

Back