• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange rattle at aroung 2500-3000 rpm

Evening Chaps

Maybe bit of a vague request but if anybody can help I would be happy.

My CTR has developed a stronge metallic noise at around the above mentioned RPM range, Its not the heat shield on the drive shaft i've had this off already and had it fixed, its only when the engine is under load, if the clutch is dipped it stops, and it also does it if you sit with the car stationary just holding the car at the revs

It does not sounds like an exhaust rattle its more of a screech? But doesn't sound like a loose belt etc? Any idea? bearings, pulleys?

I know I haven't given you much to go on but any help would be appreciated as myself and my mechanic friend cannot work it out without throwing loads of money at it in trial and error

Thanks guys

A screech is usually one of the auxiliary pulleys. Sure fire way to tell is take the belt off and give it a rev, but just not for too long. ;)

A screech is usually one of the auxiliary pulleys. Sure fire way to tell is take the belt off and give it a rev, but just not for too long. ;)

Awesome mate, cheers for the advice, Is it the bearing on the pulley making the noise? Is it something I need to get changed asap? or will it get worse before its dangerous. I don't use the car much in the week so Im planning on getting it sorted Friday

Yep, the noise is usually the bearing.

It's unlikely to just instantly fail, it will get progressively worse until it goes. If that bearing does have a lot of play or vibration it might cause some premature wear to the belt, so if it's been doing it for a while just check the belt while it's off.

Yep, the noise is usually the bearing.

It's unlikely to just instantly fail, it will get progressively worse until it goes. If that bearing does have a lot of play or vibration it might cause some premature wear to the belt, so if it's been doing it for a while just check the belt while it's off.

Okay mate thanks for the advice, Its started making a noise when its first started in the morning as well, only for a couple of seconds that sounds like a belt so it could be that the belt is loose as well anyway I'm not sure, It only makes this noise when its cold, once the car has gotten upto temperature it does not do it??

Back