• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange sound when steering at low speed

• Thread starter Deleted member 22.11.21
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22.11.21

Had the EP3 for a bit now and I've noticed that when turning the wheel when stopped or at low speed there's a sound which I can only describe as being like a rope being pulled, it may happen at higher speeds also but due to noise I can't hear it.

Will this be steering rack related? My car know how is not massive! :lol:

Sounds like it, is it more noticeable when under load (accelerating/braking)? Easy way to check is do a hill start and turn the wheel left and right a little

I'll go via a hill on the way home from work today and check, it's been noticeable just pulling off at normal speed and turning onto the drive etc

How many miles has the car done? It sounds like a common steering rack issue where the lube behind the gators starts to dry out and you get an almost creaking sound coming from it when you steer slowly under load. Ive had this issue with mine for around 3 years now and all i have done to shut it up is make a very small incision into each left and right gator and squirt a shed load of suitable lube in there by inserting the spray can straw into the insertion.

The creaking goes away after that but i find when the weather gets hot again the creaking can return about 6 months later. I reapply the spray and it goes away again.

There is a warning to doing this though, if any gator or seal splits are found in an MOT test it is an instant failure. As long as you are neat then no one will see it.

Otherwise you have 2 other options. Buy and fit a new or refurbished one or extract your one and do a rebuild on it.

Back