• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

strange VTEC problem with my EP3

iv read through the vtec problems thread but cant find anything about this problem i have.

the first time i start my car up in the morning, i let my car warm up, wait for around 15mins of driving before trying to hit vtec, but vtec just wont work, even though its warmed up. and has been driven for around 15-20mins.

it will only work if i then flick the ignition off then back on, then vtec will engage pefectly.

any idea what the problem could be?

i sometimes even drive the car for around 45mins without engaging vtec, then try and hit vtec, but no joy.
only works after iv done the ignition flick!

strange, any help would be mint.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Not heard of this one myself sorry but I'm sure someone who can help will be along shortly.

I don't think vtec will engage if the oil is low? Have you check this recently? Doesn't make sense why turning the ignition off and back on would resolve through. :confused:

What is the age and mileage of your car? Has it been serviced recently?

As above.
Check your oil level first.

Have you flashed the EML to check for codes?

Tis a strange one.

it had been serviced about 2 weeks ago, full new oil change, with shell 10-40w. i though it might of been the problem originally, but was same even after the change. also changed the spark plugs to some ngk iridiums aswell.
i bought the car about a month ago , and the eml is on. but the previous owner had it on diagnostics and it came up with -
p0141 - o2 sensor heater circuit, bank 1 sensor 2.

guesing it means the 2nd lambda sensor is fautly?

could this be the potential problem you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
A duff O2 sensor sure isn't going to Help!

I'd replace it as a matter of course and get the Codes read.

ok cheers, wheres best place to source a new sensor? guessing the 2nd sensor will be different to the first one? cheers

Get a Honda one. Talk to Hendy Performance. They're a trader on here.

iv sent him a pm.
i can also get an ngk one on ebay for 75+ p+p.
is a geniune honda one likely to be more expensive then that? im on a tight budget at the minute.

Genuine sensors cost more.

If you buy a cheaper one, it will fail not long after. Guaranteed

These engines are very sensitive to the O2 sensors used. Don't scrimp.

They're not cheap.

Try Hendy, see if they can get one for a little less.

It's either that and you buy a cheap one for £80 or so, which breaks in 3 or 4 months. Rinse and repeat.

Hi guys.
Update about my problems.
Had my car plugged in to diagnostics today.
Came up with 3 errors

P0141 - 02 sensor, bank 1 sensor 2. (was already aware of this error)
P0113 - air intake temp sensor
P0341 - camshaft position sensor

Iv had the codes reset, then checked again, the p0141 error stayed. The rest disappeared. I will go back to the garage tomorrow and get it checked again. See of the other 2 have come back.

Can anyone shed some light on these new errors?
Probably why my vtec is abit dodgey.
Cheers

Maybe you have an intermittant fault on the other sensors and/or the wiring loom. Then by switching off the ignition it is re-setting the fault allowing VTEC to engage?

I will try replacing the cam sensors. See if that solves the p0341 error.
The air intake temp sensor fault has gone.
So just need a new o2 sensor and cam sensors and all shal be good! Hopefully ....

I know...
This thread is about the vtec problem
My other is about p0341 error.
People wont read this thread to tell me how to fix the p0341 error

Back