• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

strange whistle

This may sound stupid and I have never owned a Honda before but when I'm in V-tec a strange whistle noise appears but only after 7000 rpm but its in all gears up too 5th, haven't tried 6th yet!!

Other thing is that when braking heavily steering shakes from higher speeds, balacing/tracking or brakes?

cheers

Hmm I have heard a kind of whistle on mine... sounds electronic but its not necessarily when vtec'ing. Have no idea what it is but actually sounds kinda cool !

take off the plastic i-vtec manifold cover and see if the whistling is still there. The shaking when braking heavily is warped disks by the sound of it.

I've just fixed this on mine. It was the silver i-VTEC cover.
K20A%202001%2B.jpg

If you take it off (2 bolts) you can bend the brackets back ever so slightly and then the cover doesn't touch the inlet manifold. It's easy done, it probably got bend with a mechanic leaning on the cover...

thanks very much. I'll strip off the plastic cover, I have noticed that the plastic cover has worn into the manifold slightly.

You can also fit a couple of washers between the cover and the manifold.

This may sound stupid and I have never owned a Honda before but when I'm in V-tec a strange whistle noise appears but only after 7000 rpm but its in all gears up too 5th, haven't tried 6th yet!!

Other thing is that when braking heavily steering shakes from higher speeds, balacing/tracking or brakes?

cheers
check yer oil mate mines was low and the car started whistling in tec more than usual :confused:

I've checked the oil and even added some and its at a perfect level, I've also fitted the washers so the plastic cover doesn't touch the manifold yet I still have the most annoying sound of that whistle!!

Any other ideas or just take it to Honda?

if it sounds like a high pitch whistle that grows with the revs or is more noticeable at higher RPM it could be the bearings.

Or alternately do you have an after market stereo fitted it could need earthing

I had both of these problems before and they are very easy to sort out.

cheers
Definately the brakes warped just had mine done and it a thousand times better, got some mintex brakes and pads all round for £150 from ebay.

if it sounds like a high pitch whistle that grows with the revs or is more noticeable at higher RPM it could be the bearings.

Or alternately do you have an after market stereo fitted it could need earthing

I had both of these problems before and they are very easy to sort out.

bearings of what exactly? and earthing the stereo? i thought the stereo would automatically be earthed by connecting it to the car.

Pulley wheels.
If you open the bonnet and just run the car and listen at the drivers side of the bay.
See if you can hear the whistle more. Try and get someone else to rev the car a little as well.

Some after market stereos still can make a noise when fitted.
My car made a difference with TP's ( a member on here) earthing kit basically no noise once fitted.

I have just got my car back from Honda with new discs and pads which cured the braking problem, and the horrid whistle was caused by a baffle which had broken a weld inside the exhaust back box. Very suprising as didn't realise this would create that kind of noise.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I have just got my car back from Honda with new discs and pads which cured the braking problem, and the horrid whistle was caused by a baffle which had broken a weld inside the exhaust back box. Very suprising as didn't realise this would create that kind of noise.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

just wondering how much did you pay for discs and pads from honda?
im presuming you got all round?
im looking into comparing honda with aftermarket so looking for rough prices
thanks

thanks
I got some Mintex pads and discs all round on mine for £150 from egay. Are worn in now and are fantastic. There are some bargains out there.

thanks

Honda do fixed price repairs which includes the Type R.

Discs and pads are £210 per end so it would be £420 all round. This price includes parts and labour.

Prices are here and should be available at all main dealers:
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/partsandservicing/fixedpricerepairs/

So it is a lot cheaper to get them yourself!! :rolleyes:

yea i wondered where i had seen the fixed price list
i think i will deffo do it myself because £420 is deffinatly out of my price range lol
thanks for the link anyway buddy

front discs and pads to fit yourself from honda are £140, I think the rear are the same, except they charge you a fortune to fit them!

Back