• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

struggling to get my car out of reverse!!

Hello, i have just brought my civic type r ep3 and wondered if its an normal occuarance that when i put it into reverse its hard to get back out again? also the gears are genreally pretty stiff, is this normal??

I have owned for many years a Astra so im wondering if its just me adjusting to this new gear box.

Other then this small quiry the rest of the car runs like a dream :)

First thing to do would be to check and/or replace the gearbox oil IMO. Whereabouts in the country are you?

Edit: just seen your newbie post, and Alan Day in Portsmouth are pretty good, so they should be able to do a quick oil check and replacement for you, and will probably be the cheapest thing to try first.

If you're having no luck after that, may I suggest running the car up to TGM in Fleet for Tom/Kenny to give the car a going over, as they know these cars better than almost anyone, and won't give you the run around.

Yeah it does go up to tgm, it had a massive service up there 3 weeks ago, so all of that kinda stuff should have been done. do you have a civic your self?

Yeah it does go up to tgm, it had a massive service up there 3 weeks ago, so all of that kinda stuff should have been done. do you have a civic your self?

Used to many years ago, drive an Integra now but that will be going at some point soon as well.

Tom probably did the gearbox oil if it had a big service, do you have any other symptoms? Crunching when changing gear at high revs? Revs rising but not gaining speed?

Any noises so to speak, rattling/squeaking?

The CTR gearshift is normally pretty slick but mechanical, 2nd gear can be stiff, and sometimes getting into reverse might take a 2nd attempt, but if i'm being honest getting out of reverse from memory was never a problem.

LittleMiss if you can get over toward gosport where i work (or suggest somewhere you could meet) then i am more than willing to let you try mine to compare (or me try yours). However they are quite tight getting in and out of reverse both in the one i have now and the one i had before which i owned from new.

Oh and if it was me (and this is purely my opinion from experiance and talking to others) i wouldn't let any of the monkeys from alan day anywhere near my car. There is only 1 dealer i would let near my car in this area (if my dad's place couldn't do it) and that dealer is in brockenhurst. TGM though would be my place of choice if it wasn't for my dads place being both cheaper and easier for me.

Put your foot down on the clutch and give it a good rev then see if it will come out of gear.

LittleMiss if you can get over toward gosport where i work (or suggest somewhere you could meet) then i am more than willing to let you try mine to compare (or me try yours). However they are quite tight getting in and out of reverse both in the one i have now and the one i had before which i owned from new.

Oh and if it was me (and this is purely my opinion from experiance and talking to others) i wouldn't let any of the monkeys from alan day anywhere near my car. There is only 1 dealer i would let near my car in this area (if my dad's place couldn't do it) and that dealer is in brockenhurst. TGM though would be my place of choice if it wasn't for my dads place being both cheaper and easier for me.

Hello yes im willing to met up and compare.... iv never had a civic before so its hard to know what it would / or should feel like. Trust me i would never go to a honda garage, the guy I got the car from has had all his work done at TGM so im probley going to keep going there for services etc.

Let me know when your free,Thanks for the advice :)

TBH when going from an Astra to a Civic with a close ratio gearbox it's most likely a bit of getting used to is needed. I find when I have driven my friends car and then get back into mine everything feels stiff as it is so much tighter and sportier. I'm only in Southampton and go down portsdown quite a bit if you want to compare. I find when i'm stationary I have to slightly blip the throttle to go into first or out of reverse, only by a couple of hundred revs but seems to help it become a bit smoother.

TBH when going from an Astra to a Civic with a close ratio gearbox it's most likely a bit of getting used to is needed. I find when I have driven my friends car and then get back into mine everything feels stiff as it is so much tighter and sportier. I'm only in Southampton and go down portsdown quite a bit if you want to compare. I find when i'm stationary I have to slightly blip the throttle to go into first or out of reverse, only by a couple of hundred revs but seems to help it become a bit smoother.

Hey yeah i tried this a min ago and it did work.... so i feel i can relax abit now, was really worried but feel reasured now. Yeah im up for comparing, when you next in portsmouth?

Dunno probably some point this week haven't really decided. Will make up my mind and pm you what day i'll be down. If you find your going to be in Southampton at any point feel free to drop me a message and i'll come meet you.

Fair one mate, I'd always got the impression Alan Day were ok, glad you've cleared that up:)

Well they are certainly not the worst in the area but i still wouldn't take my car there. Same goes for the southampton branch. Still looking on the bright side at least they didn't ( i say they but in fairness it was taken without permission by the valetor and his laccy) write of a customers 6 month old s2000 like the worst one in the area did.

Back