• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Stubborn marks on alloys ?

Guys

need help getting stubborn brake dust off my alloys :oops:

i've tried both Megs wheel cleaner and Wonder Wheels but i cant get every bit of the brake dust off :?

I want my alloys looking like new again- any tips on what to do and products to use ?

Many thanks gang 8)

Gary

If wonder wheels won't shift it then i don't really know what will...... maybe try some t-cut?....

and if anyone starts screaming not to use t-cut on paint they'll get a dry slap! :wink:

You could use an All Purpose Cleaner (APC) on em & see what happens or you can use something more aggressive, although it's not wise to use this often tbh. You could try clay too.

Aggressive Stuff

APC

Best way is to take the wheels off the car to work on em.
I've gotta do this tbh, mine are rank inside & have some brake dust spots I can't shift with washing alone.

Whilst the wheels are off, worth using a APC to clean the inside of the wheel arch imo.

I'll be trying the APC :wink:

really not impressed with the wheels on my Teg, the insides need a good scrubbing but the finish on the outside is rubbish, I've got loads of contaminants stuck to mine that clay won't shift, think a refurb is in order.

cheers Lee 8)

i really need to take like a whole day off work so i can do a complete valet on my ctr like what Gunn did to his :shock: 8)

but the brake dust on the wheels are really bugging me at the mo :x

Chief said:
really not impressed with the wheels on my Teg, the insides need a good scrubbing but the finish on the outside is rubbish, I've got loads of contaminants stuck to mine that clay won't shift, think a refurb is in order.

I'm sure with the right effort & products you could get em sparkly clean buddy :wink:

Once clean you can seal them & wax them to make life easier in the future.
It's easy to work on the inside of the DC5 OEM wheels whilst on the car I thought too.

SpaceMonkey said:
Chief said:

I'm sure with the right effort & products you could get em sparkly clean buddy :wink:

Once clean you can seal them & wax them to make life easier in the future.
It's easy to work on the inside of the DC5 OEM wheels whilst on the car I thought too.

Its more of the finish that annoys me, I think theres more laquer on my Brembos then on the wheels, the finish is very gritty and rough, the dirt on the inside I can no doubt get rid of but that will be a job for the when the weather gets a bit warmer.

I was going to ask the same question today....

I gave up trying to get the brake dust off.....time for this aggressive stuff methinks... :twisted:

A clay bar with some megs quik detailer gets the brake dust off, it will take a while though and make sure you dont rub too hard and remove the paint if using a more aggressive type of clay.

GaryMan said:
SpaceMonkey said:

goodish guide but why did they have to use black alloys as the example ? :? :roll:

think i will give the clay bar a try and see how that goes before using the agressive stuff :twisted:

Use the Sonus green clay bar to start, if that doesnt get results move onto the grey one.

I have the same problem with a steady accumulation of brake dust spots gradually giving my wheels a new colour.

After using Meguiars Hot Rims and it having little more effect than a bucket of soapy water (a bit useless if you ask me) I did a bit of reading on Detailing World. Meguiars Wheel Brightener seems to have a fairly strong following with people saying it does shift pretty stubborn grime. I have also tried using Meg's Quick Clay so see if it had any effect, but it didn't. People have said that a more abbrasive (if that's the correct word) clay might work.

Anyway, I'm waiting on my Wheel Brightener and I'll go from there.

Is the method in the link ok for my alloys which are the Kei RSS Gunmetal ones, I have autoglym for the polished lip but I havent used anything other than car wash on them for fear of taking the paint off the spokes?

would you be able to get me some or would i have to register ?
I can get you some, if you Paypal me some cash as long as the guy still has some left. But registering's not hard so you can deal with the guy directly that way. Up to you though, like I said I can get you some through him if you want.

Is the method in the link ok for my alloys which are the Kei RSS Gunmetal ones, I have autoglym for the polished lip but I havent used anything other than car wash on them for fear of taking the paint off the spokes?

WB is ok for almost all types of wheels, but I wouldn't like to say for sure. The key I think is to use a weak dilution initially, like 1 part WB to 10 parts water and then gradually work up until you're getting your wheels how you want them. At least that's the theory. I have yet to use WB on my wheels so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I am reasonably sure it will work ok on my powdercoated wheels, but I do intend to be cautious all the same.

Followed Grease link to Detailing World and took part in the Group Buy for some Meg Wheel Brightener- which incidentally was arranged by someone called Andy Green.

However, its not the Andy Green we know.

Anyways, just ordered a litre of the stuff so when it arrives, gona try and give this a shot, but if this doesnt work, my only option left is to get them refurbed.

Back