• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Stutter going into vtec

Hi guys, new here so sorry if this has been covered before. I've got an EP3 ctr and when I hit vtec the car shudders slightly, almost like a bit of a hiccup but doesn't lose power. As this is my first vtec I don't know if this is normal. Any feed back would be appreciated, thanks.

First thing to check is your oil level.

It needs oil pressure to switch cams so if it's low it may struggle.

There is also some gauze in the VTEC solenoid that seems to be the common one these days. It could be the plugs or air filter, etc.

As per Allen_ check the oil.

Hi guys, new here so sorry if this has been covered before. I've got an EP3 ctr and when I hit vtec the car shudders slightly, almost like a bit of a hiccup but doesn't lose power. As this is my first vtec I don't know if this is normal. Any feed back would be appreciated, thanks.

In all gears? Could be wheel spin especially with poor tyres and gears 1 and 2.

Replace your Solenoid Gasket mate and fresh new 5w 40 Fully Synthetic

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?99903-VTEC-Solenoid-Gasket

I'll try changing the solenoid gasket hopefully that cures it. The cars just been serviced so oil is good. It's every gear it happens in and I'm sure it's not wheel spin. It's almost as if someone is pulling a big mechanical lever to switch to vtec! I'd imagine it will be noticeable but was expecting it to be a bit of a smooth subtle transition. I'll try the gasket and post my result. Thanks very much guys.

It could also be worn engine mounts. The vtec engagement is quite noticable on stock ECU map atleast, so if the engine mounts give way that will amplify the effect. Other than that, it could be the vtec solenoid itself. Anyway, if everything is stock and working I still wouldn't describe the transition as smooth or subtle :)

So I've went ahead and bought the new gasket/filter for the vtec solenoid which was only £7 from Honda which I'm planning on changing regardless of the issue now being fixed. I got talking to someone local who had a look at it and said it wasn't idling properly. Took the air filter off the throttle body and sprayed in a bit of air intake cleaner (same thing as carburettor cleaner) and after a few coughs and splutters the car was idling pretty good. Took it for a run and after going in and out of vtec maybe 6 times the transition was getting smoother. I'm assuming then that maybe the engine wasn't getting the increased demand for air when giving it beans. Thanks for all the advice guys. Good to know there's people out there willing to shed a bit of knowledge.

So I've went ahead and bought the new gasket/filter for the vtec solenoid which was only £7 from Honda which I'm planning on changing regardless of the issue now being fixed. I got talking to someone local who had a look at it and said it wasn't idling properly. Took the air filter off the throttle body and sprayed in a bit of air intake cleaner (same thing as carburettor cleaner) and after a few coughs and splutters the car was idling pretty good. Took it for a run and after going in and out of vtec maybe 6 times the transition was getting smoother. I'm assuming then that maybe the engine wasn't getting the increased demand for air when giving it beans. Thanks for all the advice guys. Good to know there's people out there willing to shed a bit of knowledge.

Thats good news mate glad you got it sorted :smt023

Back