• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Suspension Replacement parts/EP3 Lowering - most likely Coilovers

Hey chaps,

I could really use some advice from you experienced EP3/Type R Pros

I always try and search google and forums before posting but I'm just as confused as when I started looking.

My EP3 is on 101k

At present it handles pretty well as I've got adjustable RCA's and Eibach camber bolts up front and a nice geo.

I have been getting a slight knock up front through the steering at low speeds and on its MOT last Friday I got 2 advisories saying that the spring was corroded and there was play in the drivers side track rod end.

I need to sort the track rod end and will probably have to have the geometry sorted again after doing it and with the spring being corroded also I thought it would be best to replace a few bits at the same time as having the clutch done so I can just get the alignment and tracking done once.

I plan on doing the track rod ends both side and the tie rods as makes sense to replace the lot in one hit. I'm also going to replace all four droplinks with Meyle HD ones all round and replace the anti roll bar bushes with new ones for the sake of completeness.

Now, the ride height has bothered me since owning the car. I know that Eibach Pro Kit springs seem like a popular choice which if the car had done 50k less in mileage I'd probably buy in a heartbeat but it seems good sense to replace the lot with a decent enough set of Coilovers as knowing my luck the dampers will give out in 2 months.

I'll be getting AP Coilovers as height adjustment is all I need and they are pretty good for the money.

Now the Lowering is where the confusion sets in....

I see some threads and posts online saying that nothing extra is needed, then I see that some use inverted tie rod or a rack raiser to stop the bump steer. Also read about roll centre adjusters being used?

Looking for opinions on what's really needed. I'm after better looks obviously...not slammed as that isn't my thing (I'm 33 years old )

But I don't want something that handles and rides like a bag of nails...

Anything you might change in the above list of things or add? Also is a JDM RARB worth adding?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very new to the Honda world....if is any consolation if you ever need advice on Astra VXRs....bend my ear

Cheers

Ry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently run a set of Bilstein coilover with camber bolts and arms on my EP3 without any other suspension mods. It handles miles better than the stock suspension while being far more controlled than the stock setup over the uneven stuff will far less body roll at the same time.

Currently on the factory coilover ride height (noticeable lower) and don't feel any extra bump steer or any weird behaviour.

There might be more qualified members that might want to chime in too.

Hi mate. Funnily enough I have a Bilstein B14 kit on my Astra VXR which is awesome but for the Astra they are only 615 quid versus nearly a grand on the EP3

This motor More of a budget build but without adding stuff that is too crap hence the choice of the APs.

That's good to know that you've not done anything else though

It all depends on your application to what you need.
Extended ball joints (RCA's) are needed if you're going 20-30mm lower to optimise handling. But it's something you can get away with.
Inverted tie rod arms, rack raiser bracket etc you won't know until the coilovers are fitted and you check the steering arm angle.
You want the steering arm angle to be the same as it is from factory. Lots of people say you need the arms straight but this is FALSE as that will increase bump steer.

Thanks Lewis. I don't plan only Lowering it over 25-30mm.

I want to improve it's overall game in terms of handling and looks ideally.

Hopefully that won't be too bad and mean I can get away with changing very little

JDM rear ARB is definitely worth it, stiffens up the rear a little making for slightly improved handling even without the rest. Not bad for 120 or so if you're doing the work yourself. Easy job too.

AP make coilovers? As in the brake company?

Not the Brake company. They are a sister brand of KW I believe and I've had to scrap the idea as I don't believe they sell them for the EP3....damn....

Back