• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Suspension / Wheel size

Hi Everyone,

New to the site, just thought I would say hi. Lot of nice cars on here. Had mine about 3 months. Black EP3 CTR with leather. Loving the car. Few teething problems but nothing to worry about. Just wondered if you could give me a few tips where to start, Ive read about the different exhaust systems and induction kits etc but theres just so much to choose from from compared to the Pug 106 I had before. Just could do with a few pointers on suspension / wheel sizes. Ive read about the fats road setup, the different types of coilovers but what amount of lowering is recommeded for the best handling, along with what size of wheel. 40mm and 195/45/15's were recommended for the pug but the civic a whole lot bigger in every sense of the word, so just wondered if you could help me out with where to start. Cheers Guys

Hi Mate,

Depends on your budget really. There are so many aftermarket parts available for the ctr so you have massive choice.

If you are looking to improve handling i would stay with 17's, some people also run 16's. Try and buy light weight, most jap manufactured rims will be lighter than stock.

Fast road setup makes a big difference as the cars come from Honda with very weird settings, well worth getting done.
If you are thinking of lowering it you will need rear camber arms fitting and front camber bolts. Generally 30 - 35mm is the given drop on a ctr.

Have a read around the site, you will get an idea of what you are after.:cool:

Hi mate, welcome to the site:)

You will find all of the answers to all of your questions on this site, little helping hand though, the search button will help loads with most of the comman questions;)

What 106 did you used to have?

:)

had a quiky mate, just got rid of it to pay for insurance on the CTR!

Ever been on the PGAC site? I used to have a GTI.

As for your question about the ride set up and wheels, on my CTR, I have OEM 17's with Yoko Prada Spec 2 rubber with Eibach springs and camber adjusters set up for Fast Road. This set up results in about a 20mm drop, im happy with that as my 106 was low (-55mm), but caused me problems and looked a little silly sometimes:rolleyes:

I have the factory wheels with Toyo T1-R's on the front and the normal potenza's on the back. Have you bought 20mm Eibach springs then orhave the other changes affected the height? My 106 was 40mm but unlike the 106 (which everyone seemed to think 40mm was best for handling) what would the CTR be like on 18s with a 35mm drop on coilovers? or would 17's with 35mm, 30mm, 40mm etc be better? I take it theres no generic setup like there was with the old pug

19's IMO are too big, G on here has 16's and loves them, I'll never change from 17's.

The springs lowered my car about 20mm the adjusters just alter the camber of the wheel so that it can be set up for track/fast road use.

I use my car as a everyday car too so I wanted it to be comfortbale but have a more stable, firm ride, so when I fancy it it feels secure.

I dont think there is a overall best set up for the CTR as the car can either be used a race car, track car, street car and each have different settings and hights.

18's and 35mm drop would probably be fine, I have a set of ABP 35mm springs going if you wanted them?

thanks for the offer mate but im on hols at the end of the month so strap for cash. plus im wanting the Gruppe M before anything! Thanks for your help with this mate. Very welcoming and helpful!

I would also take into account the sort of roads you frequent on. I used to run 18's just because at the time I thought they looked good, filling the arches. I combined that with an ABP Fast Road set up, so camber bolts front and arms rear. Lowered around 35mm. It drove pretty well, but to be honest after a couple of years like that the super low profile tyres were unforgiving, gripped well enough but did not telegraph what the car was doing (I of course never knew that at the time, not until I went smaller).

Now I am running 16x7 with Paradas all round and will not change from that size, not to everyones taste, but the car works so much better. I have combined that with AST coilovers and am to be pretty honest low, around 45 front and 35+ at the back for a slightly raked forward stance. The larger tyre walls are more forgiving and I can now feel them give a little before they loose grip. They do not grip any more, but certainly give me more confidence.

Of course If I could I would have the car sit a little higher if I was being sensible as the roads round my way in the country can be a bit bumpy, but the drawback with the 16's is to get the stance right the car needs to sit low over them or they are lost in the arches.

Yep I hate to say it but a little form over function there :D.

Of course a good alround optimum would be to stick with 17's and lower the car as others have said by around 25 - 35mm. I would also fit the rear JDM anti roll bar as it is thicker and improves things no end.

Whatever you do, I dare say a little trial and error and you will find the set up that suits you best.

thanks mate. personally i cant see me running 16's. I think they would look a little too small for my liking. would probably stick with the 17's as a compromise and just get everything setup properly. obviously when someone decides to look down on me and says "he needs some money"

Back