• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tail pipes turning gold

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before. I have recently had a new backbox fitted on my ep3 and after around 200 miles the tail pipes have started turning gold.

The back box was replaced after the previous one was damaged in a crash. I’m not sure what make or model it is as it was replaced by the insurance company (so probably means it was the cheapest they could find)

Does anyone know if this could be down to the quality of exhaust or if it might be something else? I have read on tinternet that it could be down to how the engine is running but that was on motorbike site so not sure if it would be the same for cars.

Thanks in advance

Jim

The gold colour is a sign of a good quality stainless steel, it happens due to the heat cycles. It's happened on my legalisR but autosol takes it straight off

Last edited by a moderator:
The gold colour is a sign of a good quality stainless steel, it happens due to the heat cycles. It's happened on my legalisR but autosol takes it straight off

My Tegiwa mani has gone goldy. :p

my Mugen Backbox has turned to gold too.

20110821154019.jpg

Cheers guys. It sounds like it is just something that happens then. I was wondering if it was because I had been given a cheap part.

The picture doesn’t really show how bad it is but I will give the metal polish a go, thanks Shaenei.
IMG00511-20110927-0840.jpg

Seems strange that this never happened in 125000 miles on the original pipe though.

Thanks again
Jim

Back