• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tanabe

I had a Tanabe SMR on my CTR, added Hondata and put it on the rollers, it is a very restrictive exhaust, I saw it for myself. I added Toda catback and hey presto (thanks Guy).

Tanabe look good and sound nice but from a tuning point of view I wouldn't bother. Spend a little more money and get Toda or Spoon.

chippyleigh said:
I had a Tanabe SMR on my CTR, added Hondata and put it on the rollers, it is a very restrictive exhaust, I saw it for myself. I added Toda catback and hey presto (thanks Guy).

Tanabe look good and sound nice but from a tuning point of view I wouldn't bother. Spend a little more money and get Toda or Spoon.

have you got any figures, dyno readings to back up these claims?

With Tanabe I made 160 at the wheels (with AEM CAI), bolted on Toda at same dyno session and made 177.8, figures speak for themselves mate. Quality of Toda is noticably better (welds, construction etc).

I am not slating the Tanabe SMR, I loved the sound it made and the way it looked (old school Jap style), but I don't think you can achieve a high level of tune as it is too restrictive.

[flame suit slips onto shoulders]

chippyleigh said:
With Tanabe I made 160 at the wheels (with AEM CAI), bolted on Toda at same dyno session and made 177.8, figures speak for themselves mate. Quality of Toda is noticably better (welds, construction etc).

I am not slating the Tanabe SMR, I loved the sound it made and the way it looked (old school Jap style), but I don't think you can achieve a high level of tune as it is too restrictive.

please read my earlier post re. mid range. Driving is not just about top end and numbers. Its about the whole range for me and the Tanabe performs well in the mid-range. I suppose you'd need to see the whole power graphs with torque etc. to compare the different systems.

As for the 17.8 bhp difference well I'm sorry but no exhaust makes that much difference on an EP3. That must be an error or different reading

By the way I made 156 at the with just the Tanabe on its own, however different dyno

I've a Tanabe and I bought it knowing it was restrictive. But only really restrictive if you are supercharging your CTR. On a N/A the performance difference will not be noticeable.

I changed from a Buddy Club Spec III and found the Tanable to give more useable performance.

The Toda is no doubt the daddy of exhaust now, but why did they make it look like a diesel pipe?

Blow said:
chippyleigh said:

please read my earlier post re. mid range. Driving is not just about top end and numbers. Its about the whole range for me and the Tanabe performs well in the mid-range. I suppose you'd need to see the whole power graphs with torque etc. to compare the different systems.

As for the 17.8 bhp difference well I'm sorry but no exhaust makes that much difference on an EP3. That must be an error or different reading

By the way I made 156 at the with just the Tanabe on its own, however different dyno

You asked for the figures and I gave them to you !!, I was stood there looking at the screen so no error, no different reading.

At the end of the day I am only posting what has happened to me, sadly all exhausts have followers and enthusiasts, each to their own, I am only interested in power which is why I am modifying my CTR the way I am.

The Tanabe is a good exhaust, I recently sold mine and described it as I have described it here.

If yours made 156 isn't that less than stock anyway ?? I rest my case.

One of the things to consider, how far are you going to travel down the tuning road, if its the air filter and exhaust and thats it as G said go for one you like the sound of.

chippyleigh said:
Blow said:
chippyleigh said:

You asked for the figures and I gave them to you !!, I was stood there looking at the screen so no error, no different reading.

At the end of the day I am only posting what has happened to me, sadly all exhausts have followers and enthusiasts, each to their own, I am only interested in power which is why I am modifying my CTR the way I am.

The Tanabe is a good exhaust, I recently sold mine and described it as I have described it here.

If yours made 156 isn't that less than stock anyway ?? I rest my case.

156 is only less than stock if you test it on the same day and same machine. its been proven that the stock figures vary and are less than claimed by Honda. I had no stock figure so it's difficult to say either way.
Toda do have a good reputation but I also find the diesel look a bit strange, maybe it will catch on.

Mine made 198 @ wheels with Tanabe and other mods, which is simalar to others with same setup. Paul at TDi said could get 2-3hp more with Toda that's all.

Toda does look better in flesh. Tail pipe alot wider than i thought.

ritzctr said:
Mine made 198 @ wheels with Tanabe and other mods, which is simalar to others with same setup. Paul at TDi said could get 2-3hp more with Toda that's all.

thank you, any more comments

ritzctr said:

I really like the look of the tenabe and from looking at your car I have made my mind,

old style jap looks awesome

jembi said:
ritzctr said:

I really like the look of the tenabe and from looking at your car I have made my mind,

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

There was a couple for sale in the classifieds just before xmas, not sure if they are still available.

ritzctr said:
jembi said:
ritzctr said:

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

There was a couple for sale in the classifieds just before xmas, not sure if they are still available.

Mine was in the classifieds, it just sold, have stayed in touch with the buyer and he is pleased, as I expected he would be !!

jembi said:
ritzctr said:

better get bidding mate it's on ebay

Blow said:
jembi said:
ritzctr said:

better get bidding mate it's on ebay

Who' is??

chippyleigh said:

Sold it to me... :p

ey up fella! :wink:

Bought the tanabe and must admit, in the last 2000 rpm i don't think it flows as good as my old exhaust, but the mid range seems a lot better, at 4500 through to 6000 it seems better than my old exhaust.

So just to reitterate what everyone seems to be saying, tanabe = looks 8) , sounds great but not too loud.

It's a great exhaust, but there's better out there for performance. If you can find one second hand, buy it. If I was buying new....put the extra money towards getting the Toda. 8)

thejudderman said:
chippyleigh said:

Sold it to me... :p

ey up fella! :wink:

Bought the tanabe and must admit, in the last 2000 rpm i don't think it flows as good as my old exhaust, but the mid range seems a lot better, at 4500 through to 6000 it seems better than my old exhaust.

So just to reitterate what everyone seems to be saying, tanabe = looks 8) , sounds great but not too loud.

It's a great exhaust, but there's better out there for performance. If you can find one second hand, buy it. If I was buying new....put the extra money towards getting the Toda. 8)

Hi there fella, hows tricks ??, glad you're liking the SMR.

Back