• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tapping/Ticking noise on idle

Hi all,
Well to say it this is another issue that has risen in the last few days. got a slight tapping/ticking noise coming from engine on idle. when you rev it gets a little faster but not louder. for example you can hear it more when your sat near to a wall or like in drive through if this makes sense, i have read on a few places that it could valve adjustments or chain etc

can someone please advise or narrow it down a bit before i start potting out money.

cheers all :)

What is the mileage and when were the valve clearances last done?

They need doing every 25k miles so it could be them.

It could also be the injectors ticking which is normal.

Hello mate

thanks for quick reply I'm not sure tbh the car has only had 2 owners the last guy I got it from didn't mention the valves i was only on honda yesterday picking up a new set of plates maybe I should get them done first? It drives fine as in v Tec and power etc apart from The little stutter when going to 2nd gear which I have mentioned in another thread. It had and an oil and filter change using petronas oil as I have been hearing that this stuff is really good also had a new fuel filter. Going to change spark plugs this week. It's going in for a new custom exhaust as the one on there is old and dented by the previous owner. I am hoping to get it mapped as well but don't know what to do as id like to eliminate the tapping clicking noise first. Or maybe just take it to tgm in fleet and let them boys sort it.. What you reckon?

Thanks

Could also be the lost motion assemblies, which are some springs in the head which get weak, Paul at TDi north mentioned this to me a couple of years ago when I was having a dyno run. It's nothing to worry about if it is just sounds a little diesel ish on tickover. Trouble is it's a massive job to replace them :(

Hello Simon mate

thanks for that info, it's like a tick tick tick sound had to describe. I'm in Berkshire which is quite a distance from tdi North im nearer to tdi South but when I called them the guy I spoke to didn't really seem interested. I'm close to tgm fleet about 40 mins away I coukd always give them a buzz tomorrow. Anyone else had this issue and know heat it was?

Mine does this. However not long had valve clearances done, so not that. The noise seems to go away when clutch is pressed in, so from what ive read its nothing to worry about really. Once clutch is pressed in car makes like an air valve noise then all is quiet? Anyone know a solution to all this, is it clutch related?

Back