• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TDI North 3" Catback/track legal exhaust help

Hi i am wunderin wot is tha best exhaust 4... just kidding

Hi all, brand new to this forum.

I've read rules and stickies and done a search but can't find too much on the 3" catback TDI North sell on their website for my EP3. Any feedback would be great, looking for a 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust that has a nice sound but is track legal in the uk (within majority of db tests). I have considered custom, tegiwa/rm01a but leaning towards the 3" TDI.

Also any members who attend track days please feel free post to post your setup below, I would massively appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

No idea about the TDI system but I run a DC Sports manifold and RM01A on my DC5 and had no issues at Donington. I had the same exhaust on my S2000 but a J's manifold and again no issues at Donington or Combe.

There was a lad with a DC2 with a tuned B18 at Donington with a custom 3" system with a load of silencers in it and he got black flagged.

The UK exhaust companies are good no doubt, but IME it takes a lot to beat a proper JASMA certified system for power whilst keeping the noise down.

No idea about the TDI system but I run a DC Sports manifold and RM01A on my DC5 and had no issues at Donington. I had the same exhaust on my S2000 but a J's manifold and again no issues at Donington or Combe.

There was a lad with a DC2 with a tuned B18 at Donington with a custom 3" system with a load of silencers in it and he got black flagged.

The UK exhaust companies are good no doubt, but IME it takes a lot to beat a proper JASMA certified system for power whilst keeping the noise down.

Hi mate appreciate the feedback, took it on board.

As a result I am now awaiting delivery of a second hand Toda Racing catback from TDI north (dolphin tip), fingers crossed this provides the noise I am looking for while keeping me away from black flags.

If if anyone is interested on my opinions on the Toda catback let me know and I will do a mini write up!

3 inch system will be hit and miss on track days. I have one of Solid Fabs 'super silent' systems and I suppose for a 3 inch system it's not bad. Last time out I had noise issues where I was 96db drive by (limit was 94db) but there many factors that can play with drive by noise such as air temp and wind direction. Other days I've had no issues. Luckily I can fit a baffle like this to get me out of trouble https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291800953980

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wanting to upgrade my manifold and cat while keeping my stock back box and if possible my unsilenced Supersprint b-pipe. I was thinking of getting a Piper Manifold and their sports cat, taking it to TDI North and getting them to fit the manifold and map it with a new K100.
TDI North advised the Pipers are not that good and I'll lose out on mid-range power.
Yet contrary to this, Piper state power is improved by 21 bhp with the manifold/sports cat and their cat back system.

I don't want a loud 3" system at all. Shall I just give up trying to find a manifold that I can connect to my existing set up? I don't want to de-cat.

Just get a DC manifold, they're cheap enough and give good gains.

I want to Chris but the cat thing put's me off. The only option is to buy tdi's 3" system and have their inline cat in the centre section. I wonder if they can make a quiet system with twin pipe back box for the OEM look?

Why has it put you off? Just find a friendly MOT place. I've been driving without a cat for over 10 years.

I thought it was now impossible to avoid an emissions test?
I assumed it was all hooked up to an emissions machine which uploaded the info to the government where the readings were shown.
Otherwise I would just get a dc sports manifold and mate it to my existing supersprint pipe.

Like I said, find a friendly MOT tester. You really don't need to ask any more questions on the subject, I've given you the information you need.

I know how you feel, I much prefer having a cat (The polis just LOVE my cars....).

I'm sure TDI could make anything you want, might cost a little extra though. Ask them. Having a cat further back can cause issues with emissions unless you can get it really hot before testing, particularly hi-flow/sports cats. As Chris says, soon as you start playing with exhausts a friendly MOT tester is a thing to be treasured.

I thought it was now impossible to avoid an emissions test?
I assumed it was all hooked up to an emissions machine which uploaded the info to the government where the readings were shown.
Otherwise I would just get a dc sports manifold and mate it to my existing supersprint pipe.

But they don't know which car the emissions tester is connected to ;)

TDI is (probably) one of the quietest 3" exhausts. Some say it's even quieter inside than Toda. You can buy cat and it makes it even quieter.

I haven't received my yet, hope it's gonna be before christmas :)

Maybe I'll change the system to a DC sports/tdi with their cat pipe.
Going to concentrate on the Timing chain job I've booked at TGM in Jan first.
Getting Spooner to do me a nice rocker cover too along with a few cosmetic engine bay bits.

Will have a think about things over the next 6 weeks or so.

Another option would be the dc5 4-2-1 manifold and cat. That's the way I'm going. Thought it would be interesting to know the power difference between that and a dc sports race manifold...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option would be the dc5 4-2-1 manifold and cat. That's the way I'm going. Thought it would be interesting to know the power difference between that and a dc sports race manifold...

Considering you get about 20 bhp increase by going to a DC on a DC5 that would give you some idea.

That's good to know Chris, might have to have a think about if it's worth ditching the cat or not. Might have a dc5 manifold for sale soon!

Back